The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I need advice regarding my newly berried royal blue shrimp. My tank is a 17 gallon rimless with heavily planted but I have a bunch of fish too, I was wondering if I should get a breeding net and attach it to the corner of my tank to catch the hatching babies so the fish wont eat them. Here is my list of stock and Im at 81% stocked.

6 Lamp chop rasbora they are small but eat the black worms I drop in for the scarlet badis.
5 Oto
4 scarlet badis male but one could be a female. I got tricked LFS said three that was female but turns out not to be true. They dont fight I see them taking each corner of the tank.
and 20 crystal black shrimp and 20 royal blue shrimp.

thank you

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wouldn't recommend keeping fish with expensive shrimp in the first place but a breeding net with sufficient moss/other plants to hide in and graze on will probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree with the above poster. It is amazing how even the smallest fish can eat shrimp babies. A breeding net could work, but finding the catching the baby shrimp before the fish get them could be tricky, or were you planning on keeping the berried shrimp in the net before she gave birth? Could you set up a separate tank for a population of breeding shrimp?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for the response, I recently decided to give up on breeding shrimps and just have community with some schooling fish but soon after I added the fish the shrimp decided to get berried. I found two berried shrimps. I cant have another tank in the house so I bought a small breeding net from Ebay yesturday and hope it comes before they hatch. I plan on catching the moms and leaving them in the net with some moss. One side of my tank has open space to attach the net but will be covering my HC carpets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts