The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been inspired by Henri Rousseau's paintings. This EDGE, my first planted tank, is the result.

Details: MR11 upgrades; black sand and gravel; layer of ADA Aquasoil Multi-type; Yamaya stones; bolbitis heudelotii; ranunculus inundatus; fissidens fontanus; fontinalis antipyretica (willow moss).

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments.

looks good! i wonder how it will look when fully grown out?
Me too. Most of the plants have been in there for less than a week. The fissidens and bolbitis are recovering from their initial browning. The willow moss was mostly brown when I got it, so we'll see what happens.The ranunculus is holding steady. I don't think it will thrive in these conditions, but the patch on the left is already sprouting several new nodes. It would be nice if it continued to spread toward the front.

smooth lines and good composition u need some good fishes in there....
I'm hoping CPDs will work, but I haven't found anyone else using them in an EDGE.

Is the middle rock all natural cause it looks like a face. Very nice!
Lol. I thought it was just me. I'm glad other people see it too. It is a natural rock, and I only really notice the "face" in pictures.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
How big is this tank? It's got a great size ratio to it. :) Love the combination of gravel and finer sand! If it's a smaller tank I'd definitely love to see some Espei Rasboras in there...or maybe some Chili Rasboras...CPDs would look great as well!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. The tank is a Fluval EDGE, and I think it's 6.6 gallons. Is that too small for the Rasboras?

The gravel/sand combination was a happy accident. Originally, I had used the gravel to build up a slope in the back and covered it with the sand. However, the first EDGE I bought cracked on the second day. The sand and gravel got mixed up when I emptied that tank. I put them back in this tank and got a nice instant-erosion effect when I filled it. I can't wait to try it again with some better gravel.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I really like scaping on this one but for some reason the color of the painted portion really bothers me (the orange).

The mixed substrate look front and center of the scape is really cool. If it was accidental mixing that is even more cool.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thanks. The tank is a Fluval EDGE, and I think it's 6.6 gallons. Is that too small for the Rasboras?

The gravel/sand combination was a happy accident. Originally, I had used the gravel to build up a slope in the back and covered it with the sand. However, the first EDGE I bought cracked on the second day. The sand and gravel got mixed up when I emptied that tank. I put them back in this tank and got a nice instant-erosion effect when I filled it. I can't wait to try it again with some better gravel.
The rasboras I recommended are actually very small. :) Chilis are narrow and grow to about 1.4" while Espeis are a bit taller and and grow to about 1.6". Also, if you wanted something like catfishes in there as well I'd definitely suggest you look into the variety of dwarf corydoras...they're all quite cute and stay small (pygmys get to about 1.2"). Since the tank size is rather small, you should probably stick to nano fishes to keep a good size ratio for the tank.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
cpds would be a very nice choice. They're always so curious to explore their surroundings like blue eyed gertrudes. Both have amazing color once established in their home and fed with live food such as brine shrimp. I know my gertrudes loved it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't say that orange was my first choice, but I got a great deal on it at Petco. I think they have other colors though.

Definitely going to stick with nano fish. I guess that means I'm going to need a brine shrimp hatchery too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the comments!

Very nice! I just got an Edge. May I ask how yours cracked? Anything I should watch out for?
The first one was only filled for about a day when I noticed a crack emanating from a corner of the opening and heading toward the corner of the tank. I took it back to the store, and they told me that sometimes the tanks get stressed during shipping. I hadn't moved the tank at all while it was filled, and the stand is level. No problems with the second tank.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.