The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes... It has finally happened to me. I got the H2S stench. A few days ago, I noticed a few pieces of my cabomba was floating up. I pulled out the bunch to re-bunch it and the smell came up with it. I looked at the bottoms of the cabomba and they were black and slimy. So my substrate has gone anaerobic.

I did some research in the forum and here's what I found:

I can vacuum the substrate to stir things up but this might release too much H2S into the water, possibly poisoning the fish.

I can introduce MTSs to stir up the gravel. Do they uproot plants? Should I leave some of them in once they've done their job?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Don't worry about 'releasing' the h2s into the water.. It'll just shoot out and into the air, not the water. If you let it sit, then it'll dissolve into the water.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yes... It has finally happened to me. I got the H2S stench. A few days ago, I noticed a few pieces of my cabomba was floating up. I pulled out the bunch to re-bunch it and the smell came up with it. I looked at the bottoms of the cabomba and they were black and slimy. So my substrate has gone anaerobic.

I did some research in the forum and here's what I found:

I can vacuum the substrate to stir things up but this might release too much H2S into the water, possibly poisoning the fish.

I can introduce MTSs to stir up the gravel. Do they uproot plants? Should I leave some of them in once they've done their job?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
MTS will not uproot plants, however leaving some will not be an option, They will be there, and they will procreate freely.

If you have a python, or other gravel vac, hopefully the bubbles will travel out And I would do different sections on different days so you don't do too much at once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts