The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just received an order of anubias, its in worse shape that I'd expected and [strike]at least one[/strike] three have partially rotted rhizomes (and no roots).
I know you can cut a rhizome with a sharp razor (chop off rott, cut into 'green' a bit) but is there a step past that like cauterizing a fresh wound? I'm curious how to keep the newly cut end from starting to rot.
Do I soak the tip in a diluted bleach or peroxide dip for a specific amount of time? Literally burn the tip? Or coat it with something to make it seal/heal more rapidly?
Curious if anyone has done any of these, or other extra steps past cutting to keep the rhizome in good shape.

edit:
Decided to wing it, lopped off the bad parts and dipped cut ends into diluted peroxide then rinsed well. We'll see if they recover.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've had success with just pulling off the rotted part of the rhizome. If it is truly rotted and mushy, it should come off easily. Any parts that are still hard aren't really messed with, other than a light scrubbing with my fingers. I do try to get all of the rotted bits off, though.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a clean cut with a razor to try not to leave any possible rotted parts behind. Hoping it doesn't start rotting again at the fresh cuts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts