The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received both some rotala vietnam and rotala wallichii. It looks great and all, but I'd like to trim it down to slightly shorter as it'll be going in my 10g tank. FYI, the stems are generally without side shoots right now. Would it work to simply cut the stems in half, and plant each half in the substrate, or is there more to cutting and replanting them than that?

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I generally don't plant the bottom half after trimming like that, but it is possible as long as there are enough leaves to keep the plant's photosynthesis process going. The bottom half will probably send out 2 shoots, similar to an established plant getting a trim, and you could end up with 3X more than you started.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
To make a more lush/fuller look, I generally like to cut stems in half. The bottom half will produce more shoots from its cut-off point, as Cah925 mentioned. It's a good way to produce a more clustered look in a specific area without having to eat up substrate space.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To make a more lush/fuller look, I generally like to cut stems in half. The bottom half will produce more shoots from its cut-off point, as Cah925 mentioned. It's a good way to produce a more clustered look in a specific area without having to eat up substrate space.
This is what I was considering, I was just wondering if you can cut them in half, and plant both halves.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'm also wondering if my 2 x 18w DIY spiral CF (36w total) is going to be enough to make these rotalas happy?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
EDIT: While I'm at it, I'm also wondering if my 2 x 18w DIY spiral CF (36w total) is going to be enough to make these rotalas happy?
The real question is, do you have proper co2? Both plants won't turn out nicely without it. And for the most part, yes, that should be enough light IF you have the co2 injection going on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real question is, do you have proper co2? Both plants won't turn out nicely without it. And for the most part, yes, that should be enough light IF you have the co2 injection going on.
Currently running 2 2 liters of DIY co2 on a t splitter on this tank.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Keep co2 stable then and light intensity on the medium/high side and you'll be fine. It'll be enough to bring out the pretty colors ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts