The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan~nice little foreground, biggest leaves are smaller then a dime~10 nodes~6.00 per portion~3 available.

Mini pellia~approx. a golfball portion~12.00

Rotala Sp. Bangladesh~Very *rare* plant~12.50 per stem, or 2 stems for 22.00 ~Its probably some form of Rotala Mexicana~Has fine leaves but not needle leaves like some other rotalas, and thinner leaves then Rotala green, colorata ect. Almost a cross between, very awesome! Will get red tops under high light.

Keep your weather in mind, shipping is 6.00
Payment via paypal

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I have some questions/comments:

1.If this is "bangladesh" how is it a variant of R. mexicana which is a N. American native.
2. This plant looks suspiciously as the plain old (although now rare in the hobby) R. mexicanas

do you have flowers? Or a history of the plant?

I do not doubt your credibility but I think it's important we're not just relabeling old species on accident.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
^ Look here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/79296-unknown-rotala.html#post597307

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Rotala 'tropica' is the same as Rotala 'bangladesh', which Cavan is claiming MIGHT be a form of R. mexicana.
So where the hell did 'bangladesh' come from? I think we as aquarists really need to get to the bottom of this and stop the willy nilly naming of plants. Tropica is reasonable since they breed plant strains out. Slapping a locale on the end of a plant just to make it more exotic is unethical.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
So where the hell did 'bangladesh' come from? I think we as aquarists really need to get to the bottom of this and stop the willy nilly naming of plants. Tropica is reasonable since they breed plant strains out. Slapping a locale on the end of a plant just to make it more exotic is unethical.
Bigstick is a well-respected member and i seriously doubt he randomly just came up with this name off of the top of his head in the hopes of making a few extra bucks. I've seen the name used elsewhere so i'm not concerned...

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Just because it has "mexicana" in the name doesn't mean it only comes from mexico...there are well known varieties from South America and Australia...

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Bigstick is a well-respected member and i seriously doubt he randomly just came up with this name off of the top of his head in the hopes of making a few extra bucks. I've seen the name used elsewhere so i'm not concerned...
As have I. Again, I'm not doubting that he's just giving us the name proper but I question where the origins of this plant are. I fully believe he's giving us what he knows about the plant. But I really find it reprehensible that there's the possibility we are just randomly naming plants for the sake of a name and not of descriptors.

If I'm not mistaken R. mexicana occurs all up and down in the new world but mostly in N. america. I've not hear of it in asia nor australia.

edit: So it seems I was being a bit narrow minded...but it does occur in Australia..

But again. I'm wondering why this is "bangladesh"...from whom did you get the plant? Sorry for putting you to so much scrutiny but I find this a very pressing issue in our hobby and I also like to make sure I know everything about a plant before I purchase...

·
Registered
87 Posts
To put in my completely unsubstantiated 2 cents, I got it from you on APC and it grows differently in my tank. The stem is reddish with orange leaves and the leaves are wider. The stem turned orange way before the leaves did anything. Whatever they eventually figure out it is, it's a gorgeous plant, looks kinda like L cuba at 1.5cm.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, I assure you Im not just changing names! It was originally Rotala Tropica as that is where the plant came from, unidentified. Cavan did some research and found that its origin is most likely Bangladesh. Instead of having another plant going around call "tropica" we decided to call it Bangladesh moving forward, that way at least the origin of the plant is known.

Ive grown the mexicanas currently in the hobby, this is a much smaller plant. Thinner stem, shorter leaves, this one will color up under strong light.

Buy some and see for yourself, anyone I have sold this to LOVES it, see Tao's comment above.
Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.