The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one species I don’t have a whole lot of previous experience with as I got impatient allowing it to transition from emersed to submerged state. I’m determined to wait it out to get the beautiful look I’ve seen in many photos. I have 3 varieties- red, green, and H’ra.

My question is do they ever stop bending over and will they start to grow more vertically?

I want the vertical look but I’m getting really tired of them bending and growing horizontally and tangling with everything else. It’s been about 3 weeks and they are getting side shoots of the submerged growth form now and are starting to get a little bit of the reddish color they are known for but still don’t want to grow vertically for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine straightened out eventually, after a month of growth and a few trims. I love rotala, but it can get to be a pain after a while as it grows so densely and fast.
Good to hear. I’ll continue to try to be patient. I’ve added a ton of plants over a span of a few weeks and am just now starting to see many of them settle in. The rotalas definitely seem like they take a bit longer than many other plants to properly adjust. I also have rotala nanjenshan, rotala wallichii, and just yesterday added rotala macrandra. We will see if they all make the final cut.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it might not behave the way I want under the intense lighting in this tank so I may end up moving it to a less intense lighting setup if that’s the case. I’ll definitely try a few of the things he recommended

·
Registered
690 Posts
Rotala rotundifolia is probably the only red stem plant that can thrive in low light low tech set up. No wonder it is used widely in Amano style nature aquariums. It’s crawling habit make it a challenge to constraint in high light set up, while others take advantage of it and turned it into a bush. I have seen one scape that even turned rotala into a ground covering vine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.