The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so figure I would share my latest obsession. It is a rotala dominated tank that has been filling in here for a little over 2 months. I really wanted a tank I could grow small leaved species in and have the impression that the tank was much larger. Never really done rows before so I figured I would grow them then scape them.... I'm actually happier with the pockets of color and don't know what to do about rows...

Tank specs

20 gallon long tank
4 x 24 Watt T5 lighting
co2 - 2-3 bps w/ DIY reactor
aquasoil type I
fertilization w/ seachem line (mostly flourish - w/ occasional tweaking of npk and iron)

only fauna in there are yellow shrimp (harder to see when taking photos and more hardy than the CRS I had in there before) and a lonely flagfish.

left

middle

right

1 Sphaerocaryum malaccense
2 rotala nanjenshan
3 hydrocotyle verticillata (true form)
4 rotala macrandra narrow
5 rotala gia lai
6 limnophila aromatica broad
7 ludwigia senegalensis
8 Staurogyne porto vehlo
9 eriocaulon blood vomit
10 rotala araguaia
11 rotala Singapore
12 rotala indica (ammania bonsai)
13 rotala macrandra green
14 tonina fluviatilis lotus
15 eriocaulon sulawesi
16 mini pellia
17 rotala mexicana belem
18 ludwigia inclinata
19 limnophila repens mini
20 rotala macrandra super red
21 rotala mexicana goias
22 limnophila Vietnam mini
23 rotala mini type 2
24 rotala macrandra mini butterfly
25 bacopa japan
26 lindernia sp India
27 indernia rotundifolia variegated
28 rotala Vietnam
29 rotala mexicana green

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice tank, I count about 10 rotala species. Rotala looks like a nice genus...

Maybe I should give some of them a try. If I were to get some, the R. mini, R. sp."green," and R. mexicana look cool. I didn't see 'green' in your list though.

I have never seen eriocaulron as a real carpet plant.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice tank, I count about 10 rotala species. Rotala looks like a nice genus...

Maybe I should give some of them a try. If I were to get some, the R. mini, R. sp."green," and R. mexicana look cool. I didn't see 'green' in your list though.

I have never seen eriocaulron as a real carpet plant.
Yeah, I had high hopes for the blood vomit to bush and fill in better, tough plant to do this with because every time I split them I have to dig them up and their root mass is crazy - disturbes everyone around them so it is kinda all or nothing when I do it. (hence the sales - hope all is happy with the size of the vomits I sent, when I got my first 2 waaaaay back when, I got maybe 3-4 roots on them and spent quite alot ;) )

The sulawesi are more manageable - tend to get some GSA on them due to slow growth but that is also my fault w/ the high phos I put in there. Darn shrimp just need to learn to dust for me :) cuz I know they can't eat it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my absolute favorite tank of yours:) Did you get all these plants from the S&S?
Nah my obsession runs far to deep to just wait for sales. I am very thankful to several members both here and other sites to help me satisfy my itch... :)

Still hoping to find a few

rotala macrandra variegated
rotala macrandra green - narrow

I'm sure the list will grow - I'll be rehoming most of my limnophila species when I can't find room.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Great looking tank! :thumbsup: I love the colors and also how you arranged them in the tank. That rotala macrandra mini butterfly is deep red. If you have some come available, please let me know. I had the same idea with what you are doing with the rotalas but I want to do a 55 or 75 gallon with the Ludwigia species. (Please no one take my idea)

Great job man!!!

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Just when I thought I had my collectoritis urges under control....you post this tank. Now I have to start all over again ;). But seriously, WOW! Your R. butterfly is almost purple!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts