The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rotala Macrandra Farm ----> and 2 Trick Questions ---> and Two PRIZES

2319 26
Yes, a bit silly, but maybe this can brighten up somebody's Friday...

Some background: about 6 months ago I managed to crash a tank with all of my Macrandra. I literally had 2 x 3" stems left. One very nice stem was gifted to me by a local friend but it promptly converted R. Magenta.

In the pictures below there are 3 stems that got moved from one of my other tank. The difference between the plants caught my eye and echoed some of my ideas and some current threads.

Given, that's is not a pro picture, cheaper cameras tend to mess up colors, and a computer display is not the best color rendering device. That aside, the difference were much more apparent to me in person.

The 2 tanks share a lot in common:
  • AS substrate
  • Pressurized CO2
  • Same fertilization regiment
  • Same water from the tap
  • Similar flow around the subject plants
  • Relatively high light

To reward the effort, I offer a box of Rotala Macrandra from the tank in the pictures, free of any cost, to the first person that can name the TWO major differences between the two tanks.
(Not really fair as what I think are the 2 contributing factors might in fact be irrelevant).

So, how about "I Spy" game?
I offer a second box of Rotala Macrandra from the tank in the pictures, free of any cost, to the first person who can circle any algae in the picture which is NOT on the outflow :) (Dead snails are NOT algae).

Question 1: Can you identify the stems that got moved in?
Question 2: what else can account for the differences?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@johnnytrn: Keep on going! The second of your circles is around Water Hyacinth roots. :)

v3

· Registered
879 Posts
1. new stems have green
2. tank height maybe ? You can have the same lighting but a taller tank will scatter light differently
3. does one tank perhaps get any indirect natural light ?
4. does one tank have a different temperature average ?
5. does one tank have more or less fish than the other ?

Also I can see no algae in the pics...good job or bad pics as you mention

· Registered
5,740 Posts
Not even trying (don't have a tank to support your reward plant), but wanted to say the Water Hyacinth (and the who tank) looks very cool! Is it a 12 gallon long?

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Water Hyacinth in the first photos has less leaves then the other photos.
Hm, the photos were taken at different distances from the tank. In other words, not all leaves made it into all pictures. Or am I missing your comment?

v3

· Registered
2,519 Posts
I don't need any more R. macrandra after all that you sent me but I want to play.

I think I might have an answer to your trick questions but I will wait to see what other people's responses are before I chime in.

Rotala macrandra has been a nemesis for me. I have had that plant change three different colors in my tank in a matter of months. I have had it grow like crazy for a few months and then out of nowhere it just starts to wither away. Maybe this plant needs me to whisper sweet nothing's to it or maybe it just needs me to completely ignore and neglect it. You know maybe its like those girls that like complete jerks that treat them like crap instead of going for the guys that will treat them like a queen.

· Registered
409 Posts
Hm, the photos were taken at different distances from the tank. In other words, not all leaves made it into all pictures. Or am I missing your comment?

v3
Haha guess Im mistaken...
Honeslty I dont see much, if anything other then lighting that looks different...
P.S. Are you saying that the first two photos you posted are of seperate tanks? Because to me at least it looks to be the same tank. not two seperate tanks at all... Or do I need to view a seperate thread of yours to see a different tank?

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, all three pictures are of the same tank, taken within the same minute or two. Sorry for not spelling that out up front.

The tank in the pictures are indeed Mr. Aqua's 12g Long. The new stems came from a 120-P.

v3

· Registered
472 Posts
I'll try guessing the differences too:)
#1 The two guppies are seen in two different areas of the aquarium in both pictures.
#2 The top view of the tanks allows Rotala rotundifolia/ indica on the back of all the macrandra to be seen.
#3 The top view also allows us to see to reddening color on the blyxa.

· Registered
409 Posts
No, all three pictures are of the same tank, taken within the same minute or two. Sorry for not spelling that out up front.

The tank in the pictures are indeed Mr. Aqua's 12g Long. The new stems came from a 120-P.

v3
Ok thanks :) Because I stayed up till 2am staring at your fish tank photos, almost expecting to see any change thats worth noteing lol I swear when the fish started swimming, I went to sleep!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.