The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am setting up a 10 gallon dirted tank. As far as lights go, I am using 2x13 watt CFL bulbs which is 2.6 watts per gallon. I am not going to be supplementing any CO2 injection of excel. Would that plant grow with the setup that I want?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Depending on how much of it and or other plants you have it may even keep out the algae...one 13W CFL bulb is enough for most plants in a 10g tank. People get one of the clamp on types and remove the clamp, then spray pain the outside black. Then
put a bookshelf bracket on the wall over the tank and hang it there.
Use 5000-6500K bulb.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on how much of it and or other plants you have it may even keep out the algae...one 13W CFL bulb is enough for most plants in a 10g tank. People get one of the clamp on types and remove the clamp, then spray pain the outside black. Then
put a bookshelf bracket on the wall over the tank and hang it there.
Use 5000-6500K bulb.
I keep reading that CFL bulbs are inefficient, so is that true? I purchased an Aqueon Economy incandescent hood. Currently, I am using 1x13 watt CFL bulbs. I also dirted my tank. Do you think Rotala Rotundifolia would do good in my tank?

·
Registered
963 Posts
R. indica is hard to grow without co2. ROTALA ROTUNDIFOLIA does well.
Hello, both are easy to confuse, even vendors do not seem to agree which one is Indica, which one is rotundifolia.

I have rotundifolia? and it is not growing right, or it is growing but getting lots of algae. I wonder which one I have.

Michel.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am interested in this question too, I just planted a good bunch of R. Indica in my 25 gal high light low tech...does anybody know if it will do ok with high light, ferts and root tabs, but no co2 or excel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad this thread is getting replies because Im confusing Rotala rotundifolia with indica, and many people do, too. On my 10 gallon dirted tank with 2 13 watt cfl bulbs, which Rotala would grow better? Would I be able to grow both?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm glad this thread is getting replies because Im confusing Rotala rotundifolia with indica, and many people do, too. On my 10 gallon dirted tank with 2 13 watt cfl bulbs, which Rotala would grow better? Would I be able to grow both?

Maybe someone can find a good side by side comparison of the two...if no one else has, I will see If I can tomorrow. I wish someone had some success growing this without co2 to reassure me, I plan on getting a nice set up, but I hope it can take root and make it for a month without it until I can afford my setup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have copious amounts of rotala indica growing in a 55 gallon with no CO2 and it is the best growing thing in the tank...fast, lush, and red

I can second this. Obviously any plant will grow better with CO2. But I have managed to get by with average light and no CO2 just fine.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Let me know how the dual 13s works for you. I'm running a single 10w and was thinking of replacing it with a 13w. I'd be afraid of algae issues with dual 13s.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hello, both are easy to confuse, even vendors do not seem to agree which one is Indica, which one is rotundifolia.

I have rotundifolia? and it is not growing right, or it is growing but getting lots of algae. I wonder which one I have.

Michel.
They are not easy to confuse. It's not some kind of minute difference; they are two very different plants. Rotundifolia means 'round leaves'. The EMERSED leaves are round; submersed leaves are not. Rotala indica leaves are ALWAYS round. That's not even getting into the numerous differences having to do with flowers and everything else. If you're growing whatever you have in a low tech tank with no co2, you are growing rotundifolia.

This is Rotala indica (aka "Ammannia sp. "Bonsai") :

This is Rotala rotundifolia:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hmm...so with these pictures I'm thinking I have rotund igloos, for sure...but that's confusing, because with a name like rotundifolia you would think it was the top one and indica was the bottom...people that name plants have to be confusing

·
Registered
963 Posts
They are not easy to confuse. It's not some kind of minute difference; they are two very different plants. Rotundifolia means 'round leaves'. The EMERSED leaves are round; submersed leaves are not. Rotala indica leaves are ALWAYS round. That's not even getting into the numerous differences having to do with flowers and everything else. If you're growing whatever you have in a low tech tank with no co2, you are growing rotundifolia.
OK then I have rotundifolia,but it is barely growing where other plants thrive. I think my lighting is not enough bright for them. They will go to compost since they are getting lots of algae.

I will try them again when I have a more powerful lighting.

Thank you, Michel.

·
Registered
453 Posts
OK then I have rotundifolia,but it is barely growing where other plants thrive. I think my lighting is not enough bright for them. They will go to compost since they are getting lots of algae.

I will try them again when I have a more powerful lighting.

Thank you, Michel.

If you are getting algae done ant that mean you have more than enough lighting, or is it a different kind of algae than the usual GSA? Also by going to compost, does that mean that when plants get choked out by algae, or whatever else and die out they go to fertilize and enrich the substrate? I always wondered if that was the case?

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's not that simple, plants have a minimum lighting level that must be met or else they die. That level vary a lot from a species to another. As for algae they adapt to almost any situation, any light level.

I think my rotala do not belong because my light level is not strong enough but I maybe wrong. The other plants in my tank are doing well and they are from species not very demanding.

From my little understanding and experience, a plant which is not doing well will attract algae. Better remove it if this is the case. I throw cuttings and rejects in a corner of the garden.

Michel.

·
Registered
453 Posts
IME even plants that are thriving will get algae on them if there is too much light and not enough co2...algae on a plant doesn't necessarily mean that the plant is waning, I don't think, I could be wrong though

1 - 20 of 49 Posts