The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
In my tank Rotala H'Ra old leaves are melting. I have attached few images of the plants. I'm Unable to find the reason for this. Could you please help me.

Tank Size: 3ftx1.5ftx1.5ft
Temperature: 27-28C(82-84F)
Fertilizer: Tropica Specialized Fertilizer(I'm Adding 8 Pumps(16ml) after water change in every weak)
Light: WRGB LED Strips
Substrate: Dymax Base soil
Co2: Pressurized Co2(3 Bubbles per second)[Drop checker is showing green in the photo period]
Filter: 950 litters per hour Canister Filter
Lights on 8 Hours Per day
50% Water Change every weak.
dGH:7-8
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm

Have a pest snail problem also.

Please see the attached images and help me to find the reason and a solution to the problem. Thank You.
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Leaf Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Woody plant
Light Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Sky
Plant Light Leaf Botany Branch
Water Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Lake
Plant Plant community Water Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Plant Plant community Flower Terrestrial plant Organism

·
Registered
105 Posts
You appear to be underdosing ferts by a significant amount. Tropica Specialized Nutrition appears to be fairly dilute in nature.

Your 1x weekly dose of Tropica Specialized Nutrition adds the following amounts of ferts to your tank:

Try to target the following each week for N,P, & K, starting on the low end and and ramping up as necessary.
N - 5-15 PPM
P - 3-5 PPM
K - 5-15 PPM
Mg - 5-15 PPM

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Honestly, it just looks like they are slow growing and attracting algea on the older stems.

Most people top these and space them closely so they grow in a colorful bush.

As they get close to the light in your tank, the tops get more PAR and develop color. If you trim them short, they will get much less PAR and grow slowly. This is the nature of this plant, eventually after topping them several times, you have to start over because the original stem gets bad.

It looks to me like you don't have enough light for this plant, and they should be topped frequently to keep them in a bush so you are only seeing the exterior leaves.

The lower parts of the stems are probably many months old and if the tank is not 100% algae free, the old stems will attract algae.

I am keeping rotala with some success, but the old stems will eventually get this way. The solution? Top them frequently, plant them close, and run high light so they are always pushing out colorful new leaves on top.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Honestly, it just looks like they are slow growing and attracting algea on the older stems.

Most people top these and space them closely so they grow in a colorful bush.

As they get close to the light in your tank, the tops get more PAR and develop color. If you trim them short, they will get much less PAR and grow slowly. This is the nature of this plant, eventually after topping them several times, you have to start over because the original stem gets bad.

It looks to me like you don't have enough light for this plant, and they should be topped frequently to keep them in a bush so you are only seeing the exterior leaves.

The lower parts of the stems are probably many months old and if the tank is not 100% algae free, the old stems will attract algae.

I am keeping rotala with some success, but the old stems will eventually get this way. The solution? Top them frequently, plant them close, and run high light so they are always pushing out colorful new leaves on top.

Can you clarify what you mean by topping in this context? I've always understood this to mean cutting the tops and replanting them in place of the bottoms. But in my experience, replanting the tops prevents them from growing bushier, since additional nodes aren't generated from the clipping point of the original stem and the new growth on the topped (replanting trimming) stem is less bushy.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Can you clarify what you mean by topping in this context? I've always understood this to mean cutting the tops and replanting them in place of the bottoms. But in my experience, replanting the tops prevents them from growing bushier, since additional nodes aren't generated from the clipping point of the original stem and the new growth on the topped (replanting trimming) stem is less bushy.
By topping, I mean just trim the tops a few inches below where you want the ultimate height to be.

Where you trim, it often will send out multiple new stems so it will be thick.

When the lower stems are bad like that, remove the old stems and just replant the tops.

IMO, I am just guessing here, you don't have enough PAR at the substrate to get good growth down there, so you let them grow tall (they will search for the light), then they start to color up, but you are left with the ugly stems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So 50 gallons tank. I was using Tropia until last week, Tropia is a very lean fertilizer. I was dosing 9 mls daily x 7 = 63 mls in my 70 gallons tank plus Seachem Iron, Phosphate and Phosphorous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts