The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure but I would also be concerned it would start prioritizing emersed form and kill off the submerged portions.

Usually when my rotala is untrimmed it will grow along the surface of the water, not stick up. This is pretty cool
Oooh, good thought. That's concerning. Bummer though, I've been enjoying this.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,481 Posts
Oooh, good thought. That's concerning. Bummer though, I've been enjoying this.
Yeah I'm not sure if that will actually happen or not, but I am pretty sure most of our plants want to get out of the water towards higher light / CO2 availability. It makes sense from a biological point of view... if they can grow better outside water they will prioritize to do so. I have seen overgrown rotala in my tanks spread all across the surface of the water then the lower parts of the plants start to wither away. It is almost like it just wants to float because of the high light/CO2 at the surface and is willing to ditch the lower half.

Also, I have experienced the transition from emersed > submerge when buying plants where the old growth will die off but never the other way around. Would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the answer here

Just roll with it and see what happens! Worst case scenario you have to replant some and wait until it grows out again. Rotala grows mad fast so whatever lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not sure but I would also be concerned it would start prioritizing emersed form and kill off the submerged portions.

Usually when my rotala is untrimmed it will grow along the surface of the water, not stick up. This is pretty cool
That’s what’s happened to my h. pinnatifida. I let it grow when it broke the surface because I wanted to see what it would do. The plant grew pretty fast above the surface and stopped putting out leaves underwater.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts