The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends. So I'm not sure what's up but all of my plants seem to be doing pretty good minus the Rotala Butterfly and some Java Moss. The Rotala leaves are turning clear. They're see through. I believe I have enough lighting as I'm using Fluval Aqua sky and a strip of alive led. I do run co2 at about one bubble per 3 seconds. The substrate is Tropica soil powder. The only thing I dose with is seachem flourish. As for the Java moss, it's turning brown or yellow. Any help would be great. I'm pretty new to plants and have only had them for about 3 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Flourish comprehensive gives micro nutrients to the plants. You need to dose macros which are NPK. Have a look at the PPS Pro and EI dosing regimes online, (I would suggest dosing one of these methods but maybe halved since your plant load isn't that high). You can buy your fertilisers as dry fertilisers which are compounds like KNO3, which are pretty much the same as the Seachem fertilisers except without water added to them and more cost effective than buying the Seachem liquid fertilisers.
As for why the Java Moss isn't doing well: do you have adequate flow going through it? That might help it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The red plants could be spread out a bit. Leave about 1" to 1.5" between them.
Rotala Butterfly needs higher light than lots of plants I've been told by a person
on here who sells them. And usually when bought they are very short making getting
them started well quite a job in the taller tanks.

Reactions: K.O.N.A.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The red plants could be spread out a bit. Leave about 1" to 1.5" between them.
Rotala Butterfly needs higher light than lots of plants I've been told by a person
on here who sells them. And usually when bought they are very short making getting
them started well quite a job in the taller tanks.

Done and done. I've spread the red ones out and planted them under the substrate. Hopefully that'll help a bit.

Flourish comprehensive gives micro nutrients to the plants. You need to dose macros which are NPK. Have a look at the PPS Pro and EI dosing regimes online, (I would suggest dosing one of these methods but maybe halved since your plant load isn't that high). You can buy your fertilisers as dry fertilisers which are compounds like KNO3, which are pretty much the same as the Seachem fertilisers except without water added to them and more cost effective than buying the Seachem liquid fertilisers.
As for why the Java Moss isn't doing well: do you have adequate flow going through it? That might help it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense then that the moss is dying in that section as it doesn't get a good flow. I'll definitely have to buy some dry fertilizer. For now I've got some seachem iron supplement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.