The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Beautiful, beautiful tank! Job well done!
Great fish and nice pics! I'm jealous haha :)

The ropefish look fat and happy :D

How long is your biggest ropefish?
Just make sure to keep the top well sealed to avoid any losses.

Thanks for sharing!
Now you are making me want to go back to keeping "monster" fish, just when I was pretty set on only Angelfish. Hmmm...
I'm subscribed! :)

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Haha, very cool. Good news is they can survive/breathe out of water for quite some time.

You should record a video if you can. A vid of you hand feeding some bloodworms to the ropefish would be cool!

How well do the Blue Gularis get along with everyone and eachother?

Any specs on your camera set up? I like the way the ropefish pop out.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Woah! That was a bunch of new plants!
You've done it up well though. Looks more complete. I'm sure the fish and especially the newborns will love the extra cover!

Congrats on all the successful babies!
I've never looked into breeding ropefish, but if it is rare in captivity, it might be cool to document some of it, or even separate the young for guaranteed survival from predation. Share/document all your water parameters to keep as notes. If the ropefish fry are anything like Kuhli loaches, you can have a pile of rocks and the fry will use that as shelter in which only their small selves can get into, but larger fish cannot.

Wouldn't mind seeing/hearing more about the other breeding fish as well (especially the Blue Gularis).

Now after hearing yours are breeding, I am 110% certain I will be getting ropefish again :)
Sucks my LFS normally only gets ones that are already pretty old/long. I like getting younger fish to raise and keep longer.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Any updates?

Sucks to hear about the loss of one baby ropefish. Mature tanks definitely provide a bunch of microorganisms that fry do really well on. Not too sure how much factor a stress really is on little fry with catching and separating and all.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Very nice! I am FINALLY getting my group of Ropefish by the end of this week! (My LFS or WetSpot hasn't brought them in for quite a long time now)
Already ordered a bunch of Anubias, Crypts, Swords (I need to get that Aflame Purple Knight - think it will stay a nice purple in low tech?), Buce, Lagendra, Homalomena and Microsorum, so hopefully my tank will look nearly as nice as yours and that my Ropefish will breed :)

Gonna add Philippine Blue Angelfish, Rams and Apistos. Was thinking about some nice Geophagus, but they might rearrange the plants and hardscape too much :(
Trying to decide on what safe-size "schooling"/dither fish to get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.