The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting over fresh on my 55 gallon and want to know if anyone has kept ropefish in planted tank. I've kept them before and they are a really fascinating fish and a great conversation piece. The only problem is they eat pretty much any of the small schooling fish. So the tank would be seem empty.

Here's what I'm thinking

Several ropefish with mollies to provide some fry for food. (or any other cool matches for the ropefish)

or

A large school of green eye rasboras and some center piece fish (suggestions are welcome)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Rope fish are awesome in general but especially for a planted tank. You will see some very cool hunting behavior you would not otherwise see. Get long tall plants that grow dense like jungle val along with some broad leaf plants such as swords. I had one with feeder guppys as a simular idea with the mollies. You could also get a cherry shrimp colony going before introducing him or maybe the self cloning crayfish as another food source. It is really cool to watch them hunt down shrimp.

As far as other inhabitants I kept an oddball setup back in the day with a ropefish, ornate bichir, and a black ghost knife. Also rapheal striped cats and a pleco. I have gravitated away from large fish as i like the look of many small ones in a big setup now, but from time to time I think about getting another monster fish for a planted tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.