The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Need yuor input. I have some C. Furcata and Red Temple that have struggled in my substrate (large-grain Flora-Max) as they arrived 3 weeks ago without any roots and uproot frequently.

If they were starting to grow some roots from a node I would trim the stem off below and replant. Lately they have started to grow. However, they are also continuing to grow roots from several nodes.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting/f/437_IMG_2866c.jpg

What is going on? What would you recommend I do?
-trim the roots?
-segment at the rooting nodes and replant?
- let them be? (I hate to disturb them as it's been so hard to get them started)

Thanks in advance,
AB

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just let them be and trim only at the top anymore. Be glad they are getting established and won't uproot anymore. If you don't like the look, you need to place something in front of it to hide the roots, but that's normal and great that they are doing so well in your aquarium - relax and enjoy!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I would either trim the roots or trim the stem and replant the parts with roots. If it's a continuing problem, then just leave them be.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine is doing this same thing. Although my roots are not as heavy as yours are. I thought about trimming at the roots and replanting. But every single node has the roots. So I would just end up with a bunch of 1-2 inch stems. I have only had mine for about 2 1/2 weeks and it is for sure growing. The leaves are getting longer and bright red underneath compared to when I received them in the mail. Not to mention it's giving off tiny trains of oxygen bubbles in spurts, looks kind of cool. I'm just going to let them be I guess.

You have the only other pic I have seen like this. When I google search all the pics don't have the roots. Wonder if it's our lighting or what, not sure.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I get roots like that on some of my plants. I just spend about an hour and trim all the roots off then do a water change.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think it is just learning the best way to get fertz. Try flourish tabs under it, and keep trimming the upper roots, it will eventually figure out the best stuff is under the substrate, and put roots there. I think its the plants way of dealing with a deficiency.

My thoughts anyways

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yea I don't know. I do have fluorish root tabs under it(and many of the other plants around it). I use the flourish line of liquid ferts. My schedule is on friday (WC day) 10 ml excel, 2ml iron, 2ml flourish, 4ml potassium, 1.5ml nitrogen, 2.5ml phosphorus, 5ml trace. I then dose the same thing on monday. Except I dose only 2ml of excel(daily) instead of the 10ml. This is a 20 gallon tank. Once all these liquids run out I will most likely go to the EI method and I'm planning on seeing a change. Oh and I do have diy co2 which will be going pressurized before years end.

Im sure the flourish label is a bit lean on the recommended dosage's so I'm not saying I don't have a deficiency somewhere.

I dunno maybe aquabarren has some input with his fertilizing/plant care schedule?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
All stem plants produce aerial roots, roots at the nodes that are not in the substrate. I think this is a reproductive technique for the plants. When their substrate roots fail to provide enough nutrients, or when the light gets too dim down at the substrate, the bottoms of the plants die, the tops break off and float away to a nicer neighborhood. Those roots enable it to survive as a floater almost indefinitely, and they will grow into the new substrate when they are in contact with it. But, in our aquariums, all stem plants grow those roots to some degree.

I used to just prune off the nicer tops, uproot the root jungle bottoms and replant the tops. Sometimes this had to be done every other week. High light, like you have, means lots of pruning is needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts