The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it usually take for plants to start rooting? Every now and again I see my plants floating. Is there something I can do to help the roots grow faster? Here is what I am working with:

Equipment:
20 watt spiral flourescent(Temporary, Lamp)
10g tank
No CO2
Greg Wattson Ferts
Plant Gro Liquid Ferts

Plants:
Sunset Hygro(rarely uprooted)
Green Hygro(Rarely uprooted)
Water Hyssop[Daily(At least once a day)]
Rotala rotundifolia(rarely uprooted)
Wendtii Crypt(Extremely rarely uprooted)

Fish:
12 Platy(3 Adults, 9 Fry)

So any thoughts on speeding up or how long it takes for root production?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The bacopa is particularly hard to keep down at first. I either stick it a couple inches down into the substrate or use a lead(probably not really lead) weight.

·
Registered
234 Posts
the lead weights are real lead just to let you know yoink.

jordan

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
the lead weights are real lead just to let you know yoink.

jordan
Some are some aren't. The weights that I buy at the LFS in packs are not lead, but the weights that come on plants purchased from there are lead. I prefer the real lead weights as they are heavier.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i work at the lfs thats how i know , just go to home depot and buy some lead ! its much cheaper then buying packs ... we have a whole role under the counter at work :) haha and i never really looked at the packs but they do say lead weights ( at least the ones we sell do)

jordan

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
normally if you go to a decent LFS, or even petsmart (when they used to carry plants...not the prepackaged crap), I just asked a salesperson 'nicely' if they had any spare plant weights and I'd get a handful. Try asking...I bet you get some for free.

You need to work on that DIY CO2 pronto to encourage growth and root development.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
James, I used to work at Capitol Aq. and I don't believe they have any prepackaged weights, but the bunched stem plants usually do. Go ask for a few and tell them that Ryan said its ok. haha. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Some are some aren't. The weights that I buy at the LFS in packs are not lead, but the weights that come on plants purchased from there are lead. I prefer the real lead weights as they are heavier.
Some are an alloy I think, and some are true lead. Depends what type you buy:cool: .

Good to hear your plants rooted James, It can be a PAIN to get stems to stop floating.....

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a PITA to get stems to stay. I moved my tank and they all uprooted. Now I have a new plant layout. Here was the wrong turns this month:

• Danios die/try to commit suicide
  • Light bulb dies
  • Plants wouldnt stay
  • Thread Algae attacks

Now here are the good things:

• Bought plants off of Neonshrimp
  • Recieved plants from-Wilder and Yoink
  • Recieved Greg Wattson Ferts from Yoink
  • Platy Fry!!!
  • Getting a check valve from DiabloCanine

I say it and say it and say it again. The people on this forum is so helpful and willing to contribute to a noob like me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When you're at the grocery store. Buy a 2 liter of cheap store brand seltzer water (lessens chance of contaminants when you first go to use it), buy a couple packets of yeast (in spice section, usually is Fleishmann's yeast) and buy a nice big bag of sugar (the bag that is re-sealable, has a ziplock thingy to close it). Follow instructions on here how to make the batch as well as equipment (tubing, silicone, etc.)

Total should cost no more than $10.00 for everything... but you will need to get a diffuser to get the CO2 into the water. I have tried a lot of methods for DIY CO2 diffusing. Bell method, airstone, injecting into intake on hang-on. and have found that the Hagens Ladder works bar none the best for a 10 gallon tank (I am assuming you have a hang on filter). All of the other methods were crap for me. You can buy just the ladder, you don't have to buy their entire kit for $30. Post a "WTB Hagen Ladder" in the swap-shop or buy from drfosmith for $10.00.

DIY CO2 is a must. Your plants are mush on the bottom because they are not getting the food (CO2) that they need to grow. Rooted plants need carbon either from Excel or CO2. They are slowly dying as a matter of fact.

Your fish are dying because you are dosing ferts in a tank where the plants are not growing, so the plants are barely using any ferts. The overdose in ferts is poisoning the fish I am sure. Stop dosing the ferts until you get CO2 in there and lighting as well.

The thread algae is simple: too much ferts+no CO2 equals algae. Plants are not using the ferts because they arent growing because of no CO2.

Platys are very tough fish so they can deal with harsh situations, thats the good thing. :)

Get a new bulb. Change 50% of the water. Stop dosing ferts for the time being. Get the DIY CO2 up and running ASAP. That should start you off good. Once things start to get better, meaning plants start to grow and algae mysteriously disappears :) (which it will), start dosing ferts but make sure you are not overdosing. Most of the dosing guides are based on heavily planted tanks, so remember that if you don't have much plant mass don't dose as much even though you have the corresponding tank size as the guide says.

Here is the MOST IMPORTANT thing about this deal: PATIENCE

I learned the hard way that pressing the issue and wanting to gets results immediately is only going to turn into a disaster. The phrase "let nature run its course" is undoubtedly the first rule in aquascaping, for obvious reasons.

Good luck bro! Remember, nobody started off in this deal without hiccups. Heh, I can't begin to say how much went wrong when I first tried this. My past setups were complete death traps for all forms of life, but I couldn't seem to figure out why all my fish would die after a month and my plants would slowly melt like the wicked witch of the west.... Until I joined the forums and read read read and am still reading....

-Ryan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts