The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone with a small nano use root tabs? I'm going to rearrange my Spec 2 this weekend. There are several individual jungle val plants that have been growing very slowly. I'd like to replant them along the back of the tank and stick a root tab in their general area, but I'm wondering if a 2 gallon tank is too small a tank to use a flourish tab especially if this tank houses inverts. If one root tab is considered overkill, then can I get away with cutting the tab in half or in fourths? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I used Miracle Grow soil capped with gravel and my Vals are doing well. Try using 1/2 a tab and see how that goes. If you don't see any growth, add the 2nd half.

BTW, I had close to zero growth in over 6 months with my Vals. I covered the surface of my 1.75g vase with floaters and 2 of the val leaves grew between 6-8" in a few short weeks.

The one stem on the front right is draping over from a plant in the back. It should touch the substrate by next week lol

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Miracle Grow soil capped with gravel and my Vals are doing well. Try using 1/2 a tab and see how that goes. If you don't see any growth, add the 2nd half.

BTW, I had close to zero growth in over 6 months with my Vals. I covered the surface of my 1.75g vase with floaters and 2 of the val leaves grew between 6-8" in a few short weeks.

The one stem on the front right is draping over from a plant in the back. It should touch the substrate by next week lol
It makes sense that root tabs should work if dirt works. I'll try it out and see how it goes. I'm wondering why your vals started taking off once you added the floaters. Too much light possibly? I shouldn't have that problem since I'm using the stock led light on my Spec 2. I actually want to reduce the amount of floaters on this tank and allow more light to get through to the submerged plants.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah, just give the tabs a try.

I originally had a 13wcfl 6" above rim then I switched to a 10w and raised the light to 8" above water line and added floaters. Maybe it was the light.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use API Root Tabs in all my tanks including my 1-2g nano's

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You can use root tabs in any planted tank no matter the size, whether it's a 0.9 gallon pico tank or a 500 gallon monster planted tank. As for API, the only thing I trust to API would be their liquid test kits, and that's it. Because I just think their stuff for a planted tank like API Leaf Zone for instance contains nothing more then Potassium and Iron, so I figure their root tabs can't be any better than the leaf zone.

I prefer to go with Osmocote Plus for my root tabs...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I use Osmocote+ tabs in my 4" cube. Well I used to, but then my DHG ended up matting too thick to add them without ripping it up...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cut up a flourish tab this morning into pieces and will stick them in my nano once I do the rescape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts