The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of fertilizers from homedepot or lows can I use. I cant seem to find any Osmocote plus. so i was wondering if there were any alternatives. Or what ingredients/specs am i looking for

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
what about the slow release stuff
most terestrial stuff is just that, terestrial ferts, ment to be burried in dirt. then when you water your plants it breaks the cap down slowly, but when u put them in ur aquarium there in contact with water 24/7 so there really is little or no controle in the release of said fert. :icon_smil

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I use Multicote personally. I like it because it supplies both Macro and Micro. The coating is supposedly thicker so that the fertilizer passes the membrane more slowly (I can't confirm this in any way, but this is the marketing hype on the container.). Initially I was concerned about the ammonium compounds used for nitrogen, but I have been using it in generous amounts for about a year now and have had no issues whatsoever.

If you're really worried about it, then I would buy Rootmedic. It's still cheaper than pet store brands, and I really doubt the pet store brands are anything other than terrestial fertilizer in plastic tubes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.