The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I believe I asked about bamboo in another thread a few weeks ago and whether or not it would grow (and was told, for the most part, that it wouldn't), but my roommate really wanted to try putting a trimming of it into the tank, so here it is (please ignore the terrible aquascape, it just got put into the most open area):

To me, this looks like lucky bamboo, which isn't truly aquatic but will take a long time to rot (like months). My question is: Are there any long term repercussions to leaving this in the tank to see what happens as far as fish, other plants, etc? or is it fine to just see what happens? It doesn't seem to me like there would be, but I just wanted to ask to be sure.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nope, pull it out once it starts to die rather than once it turns into a puddle of rotten goo and it should be fine. Even the rotten goo puddle probably won't do anything other than look bad if you have good filtration.

Do they grow emersed? You may get to find out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's not really a bamboo but is in fact a West African species from the Asparagus family known as Dracaena sanderiana. They really prefer drier conditions though they do come from tropical rain forests.

If I were you I would take it out as soon as possible because it will decompose before long. It is much better as a houseplant or desktop ornament.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I wouldn't risk it, any dead/dying/decaying matter should be taken out of the tank if possible. IMO your aquascape is very nice, but your roommate's bamboo is abit out of place.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
They rot in the water. The roots do well being submerged though. I have a fish tank that has a forest of the "bamboo", on the side. If you keep the bottom of the bamboo about a centimeter above the water the roots will go down and root in the substrate. Looks neat if you can do it right. And its a great section for shrimp and baby fish.
My bamboo has survived nearly 8 years that way.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
They rot in the water. The roots do well being submerged though. I have a fish tank that has a forest of the "bamboo", on the side. If you keep the bottom of the bamboo about a centimeter above the water the roots will go down and root in the substrate. Looks neat if you can do it right. And its a great section for shrimp and baby fish.
My bamboo has survived nearly 8 years that way.
do you have a picture of that, it sounds cool

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have six of these 'lucky bamboo' in one of my tanks, and they have been fine for a year. All of them have grown new leaves and shot out root runners as well. I do keep a close eye on them because I know they are not a true aquatic plant, but my bamboo shrimps love perching on them in the filter outflow so I keep them in the tank. The stems themselves do not seem to actually grow, but they put out new leaves every month, and the roots have spread out quite a bit as well. However, most people who post about these typically say that they are no good for a tank, and I think that my experience is not typical.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.