The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey plantedtank! Just getting into this hobby and loving it so far. I’ve got a 15g column kit that my wife got for me last Christmas and
Im really going down the rabbit hole. Currently have eco complete, but re-scaping soon with about 30% sand (caribsea) and the rest eco complete with blue seiryu and driftwood. Currently planted with Java fern and moss, anubias, and an Amazon sword. Planning on adding a couple dwarf sag with the rescape.

Current inhabitants are 2 guppies, 5 tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, and two oto’s. Do you think I have room for a couple corys and possibly some cherry shrimps?

However I recently had two guppies and a couple ghost shrimp die. First casualties since the tank cycled about 6 months ago. I got a gravel vac (python) and mistakenly tried to clean ALL the gravel instead of just the surface, really stirring everything up. What water test kit is recommended for a low tank kit like mine? Is the API one decent? I won’t be adding any new inhabitant until I re-scape get the parameters dialed in.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning as much as I can!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sound like a great project. On stocking levels, imo, I think you might be hitting close to max depending on filter capacity and literal water volume. I've been told shrimp don't add much to the bio load, so unless someone with more knowledge chimes in and says otherwise cherries would be ok. I have no clue how dwarf gouramis and shrimp would go...

The API test kit is the standard most of us use for water parameters.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I would not add corys to a 15 gallon column tank regardless of other inhabitants. The tank is vertically oriented which works well for humans, but fish swim horizontally 90% of the time so the lack of horizontal room is problematic for them. Corys like floor space more then most other fish so they are just not a good fit for this tank.

Cherry shrimp (any neocaridina) will work fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not add corys to a 15 gallon column tank regardless of other inhabitants. The tank is vertically oriented which works well for humans, but fish swim horizontally 90% of the time so the lack of horizontal room is problematic for them. Corys like floor space more then most other fish so they are just not a good fit for this tank.

Cherry shrimp (any neocaridina) will work fine.
Thanks for the reply. I’m finding mixed information about RCS and dwarf gouramis so I’m not sure what to do. Bummer about the Corys! I was looking forward to introducing a few.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dawrf gouramis will hunt down the shrimp fry. I have to females and 2 males. The males ignore my shrimp for the most part, but will eat the really small ones if thety swim in the open. My females are dedicated hunters and will eat anything small that they can catch. They constantly check each nook and cranny in the tank.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’m finding mixed information about RCS and dwarf gouramis so I’m not sure what to do. Bummer about the Corys! I was looking forward to introducing a few.
Depends on what species of dwarf gourami, there are a few and they have widely different behaviors. Powder blue? Honey/sunset? Sparkling?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Depends on what species of dwarf gourami, there are a few and they have widely different behaviors. Powder blue? Honey/sunset? Sparkling?
Are they that different in the sense of hunting down prey? The only small gourami I have kept have been sparkling because when I was keeping fish a ways back most dwarf gourami in my area were suffering from the dreaded "dwarf gourami disease" and am interested in this topic as I'm setting up a shrimp tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. When I google types of dwarf gouramis it’s the red one. I have a pair, and they’re showing what seems to be mild aggression towards each other. I think I’ve learned that I should search this forum before adding anything new, rather than listening to my LFS guy. I’m considering rehoming my dwarf gouramis, rescaping, and getting shrimp to live with the existing fish and maybe a couple pygmy corys.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Hmm. When I google types of dwarf gouramis it’s the red one. I have a pair, and they’re showing what seems to be mild aggression towards each other. I think I’ve learned that I should search this forum before adding anything new, rather than listening to my LFS guy. I’m considering rehoming my dwarf gouramis, rescaping, and getting shrimp to live with the existing fish and maybe a couple pygmy corys.
Typically sunset dwarf gourami's are are a feature fish for a small tank, so you get one but not two. Any fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouth so they will eat baby shrimp but if you have enough plants they won't eat them all. /shrug up to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: the Guppies and Gouramis have been rehomed. Rescaping is getting done next week. Planning on getting some RCS when parameters stabilize. I’m also considering a CPO. Would that be a good decision?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
CPO as in crawfish? Those would most likely kill your shrimp. Plus there's pathogens that they can carry that are pretty toxic to other inverts. I'd only recommend them a single species or larger tetra tanks, they might do ok with mid sized rainbows as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CPO as in crawfish? Those would most likely kill your shrimp. Plus there's pathogens that they can carry that are pretty toxic to other inverts. I'd only recommend them a single species or larger tetra tanks, they might do ok with mid sized rainbows as well.
Thanks for the reply. Everything I read about the dwarf crawfish and CRS is pretty conflicting regarding them being tankmates.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My experience with them and fish is a murderous one. I highly discourage keeping them with anything small and ornamental. You can give it a shot but be prepared to rehome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts