The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So In my 72 gallon i now have
27 (I have only bought 26 :eek: :icon_ques ) black neons (more smaller males then big females)
12 (that is the number I bought but I dunno how many I have now) schwartzi cory cats (they stay about 1.5")
6 SAE
2 (soon to be 3) Peal gouramis.

Is there room for anything else? I doubt it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you go by the rule of 1" of fish per gallon:
neons @ 27x2"=54"
corys @ 12x2"=24"
SAE @ 6x6"=36"
gouramis @ 3x4"=12"

Right now you have 126" of fish in a 72 gallon; you should only be around 70" of fish. When you are thinking of how much fish you have you do not look at their current size but at their adult measurements.

Given this calculation I would strongly recommend against increasing your boi-load for this tank. With the heavier load you already have it can make keeping algae problems away much harder.

·
Registered
234 Posts
youve got youre sizes wrong.

neons @ 27x1"= 27"
corys @ 12x1.5"= 18"
sae @ 6x6''= 36"
[email protected] 3x6"=18" ( minimum size , they have been known to grow up to 8" :O)

all adding up to 99" , are you full ide say not! im a fan of overstocking :) and way overfilteration i have two aquaclear 110s on my 90 which 180 gallons worth of filteration , and my tank is 85-95 percent planted. if you check out my 90 profile i have SOME of my fish in that tank listed , check it :) what filter/s do you run ?

jordan

·
Registered
234 Posts
i agree with you george ! youre right.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Cardboard, a way you might determine if your tank is over stocked is to monitor your nitrates. what I generally do is test my nitrates a day after and right before a water change (not every week, but whenever I'm concerned after adding fish or removing plants). this way I can determine if the tank is able to naturally keep the nitrates from getting out of hand. so after a water change, my nitrates may be 5ppm and a week later when I water change they are closer to 10ppm, which I would consider good. If the nitrates were 20ppm or more during the same weekly period, it may be time for me to do gravel vacuum and/or consider reducing the number of fish in my tank. to be clear, I'm not saying 20ppm is high nitrate since some plant growers find that level to be fine. I'm just pointing out that my nitrates doubling in a week from 5 to 10 is acceptable, but quadrupling from 5 to 20 might be indicating a problem such as overstocking.

·
Registered
234 Posts
spypet real nicely put.

·
Registered
705 Posts
ok even still with proper filtration, frequent water changes, tons of plants to add o2 and take away bio load and waste you can almost double the stocking limit plus you dont even count shwarzt cories because they reduce the bio load by more than they create.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see I see.. I shall have do do what spypet says. I personally never understood why shoaling fish would follow the inch per gallon rule. As I recall Tom Barr once said he stocked a 300 gallon with 900 small tetras. So.

Anyway. my 72 gallon has two RENA filters with a water turn over rate of 10 times per hour. I shall have to look into nitrate levels.

Just imagine how much fish you could add with a plenum haha!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I see I see.. I shall have do do what spypet says. I personally never understood why shoaling fish would follow the inch per gallon rule. As I recall Tom Barr once said he stocked a 300 gallon with 900 small tetras. So.

Anyway. my 72 gallon has two RENA filters with a water turn over rate of 10 times per hour. I shall have to look into nitrate levels.

Just imagine how much fish you could add with a plenum haha!
The inch per rule is just a very generalized way of explaining it to people. It really comes down to fish mass. Which scenario will have more of a bioload: 12 neon tetras or one single 12" goldfish? I think we all pretty much know the answer to that [email protected]!

Edit: I've had no problems in the past keeping 50+ fish in my 29 gallon as long as they were small tetras or corys...

·
Registered
234 Posts
hey rod. sorry , i didint realize blacks where differnt as well as the schartzis , i learned somthing new:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.