The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Long time lurker, first time posting.
I have had some experience with keeping tropical and saltwater fish. I am somewhat new to the planted aquarium game and have given a go at a 50 gallon w/ sump as my first foray into the planted tank realm. It has been running since the beginning of 2021. I planted lightly at first and have been adding plants here or there when the budget allows. I am looking to hear constructive criticism on the layout of my aquascape and equipment, as I am in process of building a new tank. I want to see where I can improve!

The setup:

Tank: 50 gallon w/ sump 36"x18"x18" (LxWxH)
Sump: 12"x24" box with in order filtration (was an old wet/dry type)
Mesh filter sock
500g of Fluval Biomax
Blue matala pad
Grey matal pad
20 ppi poret foam
Substrate: Dirted with pool filter sand cap
Lighting: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 36"
Plants: cryptocoryne wendtii
Lots of Java Fern
Lots of Cryptocoryne Balansae
Some jungle val
Some other various crypts
Anubias Nana
Some mystery hygrophila.
Fish: 3 ct. Golden Wonder Killifish
6 ct. Red Venezuelan Sailfin Corys
10 ct. Green Tiger Barbs
4 ct. Thai Flying Foxes

Notes:
I think the fish load may be more than what is typical in a planted tank.

It has a durso style overflow now. It will be changed to a herbie style overflow whenever I get it moved onto the new plywood stand I built to keep my twin girls from adding "fish" of there own (shoes, toys and crayons.) The tank sits on an open metal stand now.

Like I stated earlier, would love to hear some constructive criticism on what I have. What ever you see that should have been done differently, let me hear it!

Pictures:
1) The tank as it sits now
2) the sump and its filtration
3) the just after setup
4) new plywood stand with door
5) top view of new stand

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Flying foxes are the only thing iffy I can see on the stocklist, once they're full grown they are generally large terrors. Looks pretty cool. Love the plant coming out of the top of the decor. Looks neat!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flying foxes are the only thing iffy I can see on the stocklist, once they're full grown they are generally large terrors. Looks pretty cool. Love the plant coming out of the top of the decor. Looks neat!!
Thanks! The flying foxes were a reccomendation from my LFS to clean up algea and other weird growth. They do a great job! I have noticed they are quite a bit more aggressive than the Killifish and have become quite plump.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If they are true flying foxes their algae eating will generally be less consistent with time and they will possibly (probably) start harassing your other fish. Tiger barbs are nippy so they can probably hold their own but your cories and killifish might be driven into hiding. If they are sae (siamese algae eaters) their hunger for algae is a bit more consistent even as they get older. Just be prepared if they decide to be jerks, you may need to rehome them. I'm wondering why your lfs would recommend flying foxes for community algae control.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they are true flying foxes their algae eating will generally be less consistent with time and they will possibly (probably) start harassing your other fish. Tiger barbs are nippy so they can probably hold their own but your cories and killifish might be driven into hiding. If they are sae (siamese algae eaters) their hunger for algae is a bit more consistent even as they get older. Just be prepared if they decide to be jerks, you may need to rehome them. I'm wondering why your lfs would recommend flying foxes for community algae control.
The killifish and the Barbs are lax in comparison to the flying foxes. From what I have read, I do beleive they are true Thai Flying Foxes ( see picture below). My LFS has not been the most accurate with information before. I will be looking to re-home them soon as they are becoming more agressive.

What would you recommend for algae/fuzz control?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Sae do decently. I'm a huge snail person, but most people aren't. Amanos shrimp coups be an option, but the tigers would probably pick them off. Bristlenose plecos are okay with algae and probably the most compatible with your stock. If you're okay with snails I'd say a few ramshorns and a couple nerites. Only problem with snails is eggs... I've never personally run across problems with nerite eggs but apparently most people do. They don't hatch as they need salt water, but they look like snot and are hard to remove. Ramshorns will breed but they aren't prolific like pond snails. Sorry for being long winded lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sae do decently. I'm a huge snail person, but most people aren't. Amanos shrimp coups be an option, but the tigers would probably pick them off. Bristlenose plecos are okay with algae and probably the most compatible with your stock. If you're okay with snails I'd say a few ramshorns and a couple nerites. Only problem with snails is eggs... I've never personally run across problems with nerite eggs but apparently most people do. They don't hatch as they need salt water, but they look like snot and are hard to remove. Ramshorns will breed but they aren't prolific like pond snails. Sorry for being long winded lol.
I had a few ghost shrimp, but Im sure the Killifish ate them (this was before the barbs). I have yet to try snails, but it seems like they may be a better option. I dont mind the eggs might be a good argument to the significant other for a new tank 🤔
Pearl weed and hornwort are great for sucking up nutrients to keep algae away.

Nice setup.
Thank you for the excuse to buy more plants! Always loved the look of hornwort!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.