The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the North American specs off a Rondomatic Feeder power supply, specifically the ____volts and ____ amp output information printed on the plug. I have three non-US version of the Rondomatic feeders and I need to purchase the proper power supplies to convert to North American/US standard.

For those who don't know what a Rondomatic feeder is, it's a great (but expensive and over-engineered) feeder that unfortunately has been discontinued.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I know the volts of the stock power supply, but it's the milliamp output of the DC converter I was wondering about! The German power supply indicates 24V and 7 milliamp output. I was just wondering if that was consistent with the American version. I tried a 24v power supply, but it outputs 700 milliamps and the feeder gains an hour+ per day (spins too fast). I haven't had much luck finding a 24v supply that outputs sub-100 milliamps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's the differnce in Hz that's doing that -- our electricity is 20% faster than European electricity. :smile:

Extra mA just don't get used. :shrug:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extra mA just don't get used. :shrug:
That's what I assumed, but something's throwing the thing off. Can you tell I'm not an electrician! Wonder if there is any adjustable calibration internal to the unit? Probably not.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's the cycle time of the electricity. U.S. power is 60 Hz, European is 50 Hz -- ours is a 20% faster cycle speed than theirs. The timer in the feeder most likely bases itself on the cycle time of the power supply it receives. I don't think I've ever seen anything that would adjust for that, unfortunately. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If you have the original power supplies, you might be able to use this or similar product and just plug the EU supply into it.

I'm assuming there are internal parts that allow the proper conversion.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have the original power supplies, you might be able to use this or similar product and just plug the EU supply into it.

I'm assuming there are internal parts that allow the proper conversion.
That's a good idea, but I think the original power supply is dependent on the EU voltage for proper function (I don't think it's a global power supply that auto-switches)! However, at that price, it wouldn't hurt to try one of the units that way (I do have the original supplies).

I suppose, worst-case, I can do a manual adjustment (time each "bucket dump" out) and space the food/ferts accordingly in the buckets. Not ideal, but it would certainly work for my application.

It's the cycle time of the electricity. U.S. power is 60 Hz, European is 50 Hz -- ours is a 20% faster cycle speed than theirs. The timer in the feeder most likely bases itself on the cycle time of the power supply it receives. I don't think I've ever seen anything that would adjust for that, unfortunately. :shrug:
Thanks for the information, that's the type of thing I was afraid of and it does account almost exactly, from coarse estimation, for the timing difference.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
Read my review here: https://www.aquaristikshop.com/us/221233. I describe exactly how I use this fish feeder in the US and solve the timing issue.
I set it all up and watched it in action before in lieu of going on vacation. What I found was that it was gaining about 12 minutes per hour. It must be getting its timing signal from the 50 Hz whereas we use 60 Hz in the US. The math works out, anyway. No problem! I put an appliance timer on the voltage transformer and turn it off at 03:00 AM and turn it back on at 07:00 AM, which syncs everything back up.

Brilliant in it's simplicity.... :)
Beats this...
https://www.kccscientific.com/product/athena-frequency-converter/
only 350mA out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts