The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leftover RODI filter from my reefing days. Should I use it since I have it? Will it make a difference- good, bad, or indifferent?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was told to ditch mine... plants need the stuff we stripped out of the water for corals. I just sold my Kati/Ani resins... it feels so good to sell off all my reef stuff.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it feels so good to sell off all my reef stuff.
It's a bitter sweet goodbye but I'm excited for a new "adventure." I'll be a reefer again when I buy a house and can do an in-wall. Moving 5 times in 5 years can devastate a reef.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It depends on your tap water and the types of plants you want to keep. Erios and Toninas require very soft water. Yes an RODI strips out all the nutrients, but it's very easy to add the calcium carbonate, Mg, and K back in proportions that give you ideal water hardness levels. You also don't have to worry about your water chemistry changing because of changes made at the processing plant. I use one because it brings consistency to my tank, and i've set it up in a way that I can do water changes with it very easily. I collect it in a large garbage can (only ever used to collect RO water) and pump it into my tank using a hose and a submersible utility pump.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use RODI because my water has so much chloramine in it. I fill 5 gal buckets and add the minerals there. Fish and plants are happy.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I have a leftover RODI filter from my reefing days. Should I use it since I have it? Will it make a difference- good, bad, or indifferent?
Your tap likely has high KH/alk, that's the main issue, might wanna hang on to it to adjust the KH/alk down. 50ppm is good for most any plant. But higher is fine except for a few species.

Regards,
tom Barr

·
Registered
28 Posts
I come from a saltwater background and have an RO/DI system as well. Using tap water feels like the ultimate heresy, but it is what I have been doing because I couldn't find this locally-

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+4128&pcatid=4128

I think this would be the safest way to know exactly what is being put in the tank, and I'm going to switch. Our local tap water has arsenic which flirts with the EPA limit for safety. You never know what is in yours!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts