The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spent the last 3 hours pulling rockwool from the roots of my 2 new crypt plants I bought. Does anybody have any suggestions for an easier less frustrating way to remove it?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have just spent the last 3 hours pulling rockwool from the roots of my 2 new crypt plants I bought. Does anybody have any suggestions for an easier less frustrating way to remove it?
I usually just get as much as I can off of it, and then plant it. Doesnt seem to hurt it to much.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It seems that there's usually two pieces pressed together the plant being in the middle, so I try my best to remove those two pieces separately (since it should be easier that way), after taking most of it off I put the plant under water in a bucket or something and scratch the rest off with my fingers which seems to work best that way.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would think that it's just about aesthetics, it might irritate bottom dwellers gills when they eat stuff from the bottom, but otherwise it shouldn't cause any health issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention that these were "giant mother" plants. They came in a pots that were around 6" wide across. I took apart as much rockwool as I could and seperated some of the shoots for planting later. I have gotten to the point where almost all of the rockwool is gone. So now that I have woken up it is time to get back to planting my tank. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts