The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add rocks to my tank, maybe from outside, or buy some...

First, what kinds of rocks won't raise the ph?

I have bolivian rams, angelfish, neons, corys, otos, gouramis, all that like a lower pH.

Second, how would I treat rocks from outside so I can put them in my tank?

·
Registered
794 Posts
being you live in CT granite is quite common there in addition to a few nice schists and basalts.

as for treating them give them all a very through scrubbing then a bleach dip treat with prime and then allow to soak in DI water for 2 weeks checking PH and TDS weekly looking for changes in water chemistry. depending on your current tank water chemistry you could then compare these results and determine weather or not you would see these changes in your tank water.

or you could do the scrubbing and the bleaching and the prime and just stick them in a bucket of tank water and test that water for changes in chemistry.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
TDS = total dissolved solids
that's all the salts and minerals in the water.
The term HARD or SOFT water is used to describe this.

oh, there are some beautiful rocks up in the mountains of CT. I'm always tempted to bring it back but would have a hard time explaining it to airport security.

·
Registered
794 Posts
oh, there are some beautiful rocks up in the mountains of CT. I'm always tempted to bring it back but would have a hard time explaining it to airport security.

when i fly i send my rocks back via UPS no questions asked and and not that expensive

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TDS = total dissolved solids
that's all the salts and minerals in the water.
The term HARD or SOFT water is used to describe this.

Oh okay, thanks. I had not known that TDS referred to the water's hardness. Now I'll be a little more lingo savvy :icon_wink

I live in the valley, so we mostly have mica schists and granitic gneiss, and some greenish shiny rocks, I think they are called phillite? Something like that... I know if I go north west of here there is basalt and red beds... and if I go north east I can find marble and garnet schists. I have a couple garnet schists :)
I collected rocks and had wanted to be a geologist until my dad shot me down and said that was a stupid idea :angryfire just like zoology, marine biology, and flavor chemistry were all "bad ideas". Hes a computer progamer and wanted me to be one. I told him that was a bad idea because those jobs are leaving the USA. haha, shot down.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oh okay, thanks. I had not known that TDS referred to the water's hardness. Now I'll be a little more lingo savvy :icon_wink

I live in the valley, so we mostly have mica schists and granitic gneiss, and some greenish shiny rocks, I think they are called phillite? Something like that... I know if I go north west of here there is basalt and red beds... and if I go north east I can find marble and garnet schists. I have a couple garnet schists :)
I collected rocks and had wanted to be a geologist until my dad shot me down and said that was a stupid idea :angryfire just like zoology, marine biology, and flavor chemistry were all "bad ideas". Hes a computer progamer and wanted me to be one. I told him that was a bad idea because those jobs are leaving the USA. haha, shot down.
i would say to go ahead and use the granitic gneisses, the basalts and the red beds, but don't use the micas or the garnet schist both can contain heavy metals and micas will leach so metals.

as for geology as a carer do it you cant out source a geologist. we are few and far between and in high demand. its one of the only scientific fields were you can get a good job with just a BA or BS and with every body focused on the environment there are always jobs. i personal get about 3-4 job offers a year.

my favorite part about being a geologist is seeing peoples faces when you tell them what you do for a living. i tell them I'm basically get paid to be a 5 year old i have a rock collection and play in the mud.

if you are serious about geology as a carer PM and i will tell you any thing you want to know.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
A friend of mine whose a millionaire now, started out working with geology and programming for Mobil (oil co) back in the day. Not to put down your dad but he doesn't know everything :)

Do what you love.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would say to go ahead and use the granitic gneisses, the basalts and the red beds, but don't use the micas or the garnet schist both can contain heavy metals and micas will leach so metals.

as for geology as a carer do it you cant out source a geologist. we are few and far between and in high demand. its one of the only scientific fields were you can get a good job with just a BA or BS and with every body focused on the environment there are always jobs. i personal get about 3-4 job offers a year.

my favorite part about being a geologist is seeing peoples faces when you tell them what you do for a living. i tell them I'm basically get paid to be a 5 year old i have a rock collection and play in the mud.

if you are serious about geology as a carer PM and i will tell you any thing you want to know.

Thanks :) I'll have to go find some gneiss. The basalt and red beds are a bit of a drive... but next time I'm up there, I'll look for some pieces.

lol, my mom is in FL, and shes jealous, she has to buy her rocks, she can't just go outside and find some. Shes the one who got me into aquarium keeping. But on the plus side for her, there's a larger variety of fish to pick from at the stores there. I'm jealous about that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts