The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm starting a 20 gallon planted tank and I'm going to plant grass from seeds into substrate before filling with water. I'm wondering if I should grow the grass and then place my dragon stone on top or can I place my rocks before the grass grows? Thanks, any help appreciated!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Hey all, I'm starting a 20 gallon planted tank and I'm going to plant grass from seeds into substrate before filling with water. I'm wondering if I should grow the grass and then place my dragon stone on top or can I place my rocks before the grass grows? Thanks, any help appreciated!
Rocks first definitely. You may need to move them around a bit. Also be aware that almost every single packet of seeds sold on Amazon or e. Bay is not actually an aquatic plant and will die a few weeks after flooding the tank. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
This has been popping up a bunch recently. Are these seeds being hyped on Instagram or YouTube or something similar?

Regardless, they're not aquatic. In all likelihood, you're breaking the law by (illegally) importing them.
Mostly they turn up in searches on Amazon or e bay if you look for aquarium plants etc. They have really good looking pictures, lots of positive reviews, and are dirt cheap. The reviews are all written by people who had them for less than a few months so they haven't all died yet. They are usually a marshy field cover plant. Some can live completely submerged but not most of the ones I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
Mostly they turn up in searches on Amazon or e bay if you look for aquarium plants etc. They have really good looking pictures, lots of positive reviews, and are dirt cheap. The reviews are all written by people who had them for less than a few months so they haven't all died yet. They are usually a marshy field cover plant. Some can live completely submerged but not most of the ones I've seen.
Right. We go through cycles with these here every couple of years and it's (the uptick in use) usually tied to some sort of social media promotion. And it always ends in disaster.

Just a surprising number of mentions of of them lately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts