The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the rock that Pioneer gave me under the name slate. Very fine granuled but not as smooth as I imagine slate to be. Colorado is rich in sandstone so that is my assumption. Any help would be wonderful.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya i'd call it pinkish. Like a faded brick I suppose. There was no fizzing when submerged in vinegar, just a small steady stream of bubbles that stopped after a while as I posted the other day. Will this rock dissolve in my aquarium? I've read that some sandstones will.

Edit: BTW I read a bit of your link from Stumpy Goodness. I grew up in Colorado Springs and moved to Louisville, KY. Then moved back about a year ago. Same area, thought it was neat :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
no it will be fine. sandstones are composed of silicates (quartz and feldspars) that are very inert in an aquarium. They are equivalent to an igneous rock like a granite. The reason some people can be wary of sandstones is that they can be loosely cemented.

Some types of sandstones are very crumbly because they have been extensively weathered at which point they can crumble in your tank. But if your rock doesn't crumble in your hand when you rub it, it should be fine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I loved Kentucky. It's definetly in more economic trouble than Denver. A rougher city too. Churchill Downs was a blast! But I moved out there on a whim. Nearest family was in Iowa so I got pretty homesick after a while. Came back and now I'm building a family of my own, first born due in November.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Some types of sandstones are very crumbly because they have been extensively weathered at which point they can crumble in your tank. But if your rock doesn't crumble in your hand when you rub it, it should be fine.
+1 to this, if it passes the chemical test and doesnt fall to pieces, and is not metallic it should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.