The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 240 gallon planted tank, this is by far the biggest tank I have set up yet. In the past I have always used RO water buffered with a bit of tap, however I am now concerned over how to make and store enough water to do a water change. How necisarry is RO? my water is here is extremely hard.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It depends on your local tap water. For 99% of the people in this hobby it isn't necessary at all for plants or fish.

I am by no means an expert on shrimp, but shrimp like RCS and Amanos are bulletproof. As to high end CRS etc. maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember off the top of my head what the kh gh is, however I do remember that it has about 25 grains per gallon of hardness (per the water company's website) I do know that the ph and kh are quite high. when I get home I will check them and report back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd have to think really hard before I used mainly RO in a tank that size. For my 90g I use about 80% RO and 20% tap and even that's pushing my comfort zone.
I feel the same way. It is not even so much an issue of waste (i use all waste water) it is really the storage issue. I guess I could do 2 giant 60 gallon trash cans with float valves in the top and bulkheads in the bottom. I am a little freaked out by 50% water changes on this thing.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I make my water into a 60g drum on wheels. I roll it out of the garage and right outside the front door. I just pump the water in from there. I only do a WC every 2 or 3 weeks though. More than that and I get scolded. lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pretty much got the wife were I want her with regards to w/c but the scope of this tank is gonna be daunting to any marriage. I would kind of like to use EI dosing and big changes but I am afraid of making that much RO. I am gonna test my water tonight and get back with the results

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shrimp would probably be RCS and I would be open to adjusting the fauna to suit the water. I just wonder if their is an outside limit to how hard water can be and still be suitable for a planted aquarium

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright so I measured the tap and the kh is about 10.5 took ten drops to get any change then one more for full change. The gh is OFF the charts i added about 40 drops and never got a change. My probe read the ph at 7.6 but I am waiting on a friend to call with a reading from his monitor. Don't trust mine, it went dry (miles Ed SMS 122)

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Are you able to collect rainwater? That's what I do. I have a 100 gallon outside by the fishroom window. I got a couple big ones to put on the shed...one day.

I used to filter it with peat, then a micron filter. But now I just aerate it. I put hoisery or a net on the hose to collect the mosquito larve to feed the fish.

I have a 5 stage RO unit that I've never hooked up because I have no use for the waste and feel to guilty about letting it run down the drain.

Rainwater...a win win situation.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Are you able to collect rainwater? That's what I do. I have a 100 gallon outside by the fishroom window. I got a couple big ones to put on the shed...one day.

I used to filter it with peat, then a micron filter. But now I just aerate it. I put hoisery or a net on the hose to collect the mosquito larve to feed the fish.

I have a 5 stage RO unit that I've never hooked up because I have no use for the waste and feel to guilty about letting it run down the drain.

Rainwater...a win win situation.
I thought rain water is bad? polution from the car/industry in the water.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do collect rain water for my garden however I don't think this would be feasible were I live. This tank will take over 6000 gallons a year. I am pretty sure that even if I collected every drop of rain that fell on my property it wouldn't be enough. The waste from the RO isn't a big deal, cause I can use it. It is just the long term storage of one hundred plus gallons of water that is concerning me.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Just need a larger RO unit. I upgraded to a dual membrane setup with booster pump and get around 300 GPD out of my unit. The plus side is there is even less waste water with a dual membrane unit.

Craig

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://www.jehmco.com/html/water_storage_tanks.html
or any other place for your convienence.

Do you mean as in container or a place for the container?
I am just a little apprehensive of were the container might go, I have a pretty packed two car garage and have always used one 40 gallon trash can to hold water, I guess I can look into a roto-molded tank that would hold an appropriate amount of water. Really i suppose I am just trying to decide now whether RO is necessary or not. the GH of the water concerns me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just need a larger RO unit. I upgraded to a dual membrane setup with booster pump and get around 300 GPD out of my unit. The plus side is there is even less waste water with a dual membrane unit.

Craig
Gotta love the two membrane system :) i have been using a 200 gpd system for awhile now and LOVE It, my water pressure is pretty decent too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.