The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello plant fam,

I recently purchased a portable RO unit and for the first hundred gallons it was great getting 0TDS and now about 20 more gallons in I’m up to 35TDS. Appears the one I bought may not of been the best. I’m looking to spend anywhere from $75-$200 for a good RO unit recommendation. I am not looking for a tank and faucet spout just the filters. Let me know what you have tried and how well it works and what kind of longevity you got out of your media. My source water is 400-500 tds so pretty hard. Tons of carbonates.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Unless you had di resin, which runs out. 35 tds could be normal. Mines about 17 before di. My source is 450 tds.
What is the rejection rate. 4 to 1 will give more waste but lower tds water.
My 1:1 is like 150 tds.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unless you had di resin, which runs out. 35 tds could be normal. Mines about 17 before di. My source is 450 tds.
What is the rejection rate. 4 to 1 will give more waste but lower tds water.
My 1:1 is like 150 tds.
Hi, yes I have a di resin. Would you say it’s normal for a di resin to be spent after 120 gallons of hard water? I don’t remember the color it started as but it’s kind of dark tan/light brown now.

I’m probably 1:3-4 or so.

I just read di resin should last 5-10 years but I’m not sure if they are recharging it during that time or that’s how long they go before recharging. I assume they mean it breaks down and is not rechargeable anymore.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If it's brown or light brown it's spent it's black dark blue fresh.
Mine lasted 2 months which is just around 120 gallons. I change 15g a week.
I just made a larger bulk purchase of 2lbs or resin so it will last me a while between shipments.
I've read it helps to have 2 di resin tanks because you can swap them before each is exhausted.

I'm not aware of recharging resin. Stuff like purigen is rechargable but it doesn't do the same stuff

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's brown or light brown it's spent it's black dark blue fresh.
Mine lasted 2 months which is just around 120 gallons. I change 15g a week.
I just made a larger bulk purchase of 2lbs or resin so it will last me a while between shipments.
I've read it helps to have 2 di resin tanks because you can swap them before each is exhausted.

I'm not aware of recharging resin. Stuff like purigen is rechargable but it doesn't do the same stuff
After some more reading how long you’re getting seems right. Kind of annoying it gets used up so fast. Recharging is a bit more involved using acids to strip the resin granules. After watching a video on it I won’t be doing that lol.

I found a more affordable 10lb bag through Walmart’s website.

Now I need to figure out the best way to buy a different unit so I can change the resin easier. I’m thinking one of the standard type systems ie; canisters that screw in from the bottom, but need to research how to customize to make them work better and more efficient. Maybe double up ro filters before it hits the di? I’ll need to filter 200~ gallons a month.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello plant fam,

I’m looking to spend anywhere from $75-$200 for a good RO unit recommendation.

Check out Bulk Reef Supply for RO units - lots of configurations to choose from, for example

75 GPD RO

IMO it's worth spending a few more $$s for the water saver upgrade unit....doubles the output and there's less waste water

150 GPD RO

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
My system is currently running a LiquaGen RO unit with a piggy back water saver kit which doubles the water output with a small bump in TDS. My system also has one of these which helps monitor how the system is performing.
With the water saver kit, I am getting 10-12ppm TDS on the output - more than adequate for most planted tank setups.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for responding. I spent about two hours on Brs’ website last night and almost pulled the trigger on the 6 stage 75 gpd plus deluxe. After some mulling I realized that my liquagen 4 stage that I just bought was only really lacking in the DI section and the RO aspect was good. So I ordered the dual DI cartridge add on with a 2 way T valve so I can run RO for my Neo tanks and DI for drinking water and my Caridina tanks. The RO unit gets tds to 35 with kh/gh both just about 1 or slightly less. Hopefully this setup will make so I’m not burning through di resin super fast.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow they like their unit a lot to charge that. I’m realizing a only a single di unit won’t be enough for my 500 tds water. The way I just set it up should accomplish better di resin life for about half the cost. Did you go with this one? Like it if so? How hard is your source water?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thank you both for responding. I spent about two hours on Brs’ website last night and almost pulled the trigger on the 6 stage 75 gpd plus deluxe. After some mulling I realized that my liquagen 4 stage that I just bought was only really lacking in the DI section and the RO aspect was good. So I ordered the dual DI cartridge add on with a 2 way T valve so I can run RO for my Neo tanks and DI for drinking water and my Caridina tanks. The RO unit gets tds to 35 with kh/gh both just about 1 or slightly less. Hopefully this setup will make so I’m not burning through di resin super fast.

Good to hear...some other things to consider in setting up your RO unit

1. A TDS meter so you know the TDS of your product water
2. In-line pressure guage to measure pressure at the inlet
3. In-line pressure booster - the RO unit should be operating at 70-90 psi and your household water pressure may be too low

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to hear...some other things to consider in setting up your RO unit

1. A TDS meter so you know the TDS of your product water
2. In-line pressure guage to measure pressure at the inlet
3. In-line pressure booster - the RO unit should be operating at 70-90 psi and your household water pressure may be too low
Thank you for the tips. I have a tds meter and will look into a pressure guage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow they like their unit a lot to charge that. I’m realizing a only a single di unit won’t be enough for my 500 tds water. The way I just set it up should accomplish better di resin life for about half the cost. Did you go with this one? Like it if so? How hard is your source water?

Thats Canadian $, 30% cheaper for usa. But yes expensive- but when you settle on spec and shop around, it does what I want. Look at hydro units, good output.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.