The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have 3 filters before the RO and I need to replace the sediment soon.

The first stage is a 5 micron sediment and the 2nd and 3rd is 5 micron GAC.

Is there any benefit to use more sediment like a 1 micron after the 5 and 1 carbon or keep both carbon? Seeing all the crap in the sediment I'm thinking of using 1 micron after the 5 micron to filter out more crap and keeping 1 carbon.

I'm just wondering if using any particular combo has any benefits. The tap water is 300~ TDS.

Thanks,

Harvey

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Using 1 micron filters will take out slightly more particulate matter, but it will also reduce the amount of water you get out of the unit.

The finer filters help a little to preserve the RO membrane. You may also wish to install a flush valve kit, so you can flush out the RO membrane from time to time. Here is an example, but any will do (offsite) - http://www.marinedepot.com/Reverse_...ystems-Captive_Purity-RO1313-FIRORAFL-vi.html

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Hello,

I have 3 filters before the RO and I need to replace the sediment soon.

The first stage is a 5 micron sediment and the 2nd and 3rd is 5 micron GAC.

Is there any benefit to use more sediment like a 1 micron after the 5 and 1 carbon or keep both carbon? Seeing all the crap in the sediment I'm thinking of using 1 micron after the 5 micron to filter out more crap and keeping 1 carbon.

I'm just wondering if using any particular combo has any benefits. The tap water is 300~ TDS.

Thanks,

Harvey
The more you filter out before the membrane the longer the membrane lasts.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response, I will go with another 5µm and 1µm sediment and only use 1 5µm GAC.

My tap is dirty and would like remove as much as possible to prolong the others since sediment and GAC is cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.