The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone has done top offs only with pure RO and skips the whole WC. I ask because I was doing some reading on a German form and one of the guys was talking about doing a WC once a month on his TB tanks when he has berried shrimp to avoid causing a molt.

I been trying it for 2 weeks now and everything seems to be testing stable with the typical TDS going up a bit, but leveling back out after adding the RO water.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Usually that happens when WC happens your shrimp molts only because the water coming out of the faucet is about 4-5 degrees colder it makes the shrimp dance. I haven't seen that problem yet cause my RO water is same temp as my breeding tanks. What I do is drop ice in my RO water barrel drop the temp about 4-5 degrees colder to get them to dance and molt lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
I do WC every couple of months when TDS creeping above what I want.
I only top off with R/O water every few days or so.
With most of the Neocaridina beside BD, Chocolate and Yellow shrimps, the less water change the better they breed.
This of course is my own experience.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
I do WC every couple of months when TDS creeping above what I want.
I only top off with R/O water every few days or so.
With most of the Neocaridina beside BD, Chocolate and Yellow shrimps, the less water change the better they breed.
This of course is my own experience.

+1
only reason I do any changes is if the parameters start getting out of the range I desire. otherwise its always RO topoffs.

stability is key to success with shrimp, dont just change water because its been X number of days since the last time. check your water first.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Everyone has there own way. I do top offs through the week to keep it all the same. But I do water changes every week, never have issues. If you keep the tds the same as normal and don't drastically change tds you should not have molt issues. They molt from a change in mineral content in the water. So if you change so etching that has crept to 175 and bring it back to 150 yes they will molt. That is why I do top offs daily so all stays the same

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
thank goodness im not the only one. i tend to not do wc unless parameters are off. i normally dont chime in on this because alot here swear by the weekly water changes. i want to say just about every one does top offs with pure ro water. no need to remineralize for just a top of really

1 - 6 of 6 Posts