The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the process of setting up a 30g tank with 2 x t5no bulbs. the substrate will be eco-complete.

this will be my first planted tank but i have a RODI filter i use for my marine aquarium.

the guy at my local fish store advised me to do 50% RO water and 50% tap or 100% RO with supplements added.

what would you use?

thanks in advance
-z

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
People mix them to get their desired TDS. So If 50/50 gets the water where you want it, then good. For instance i had a plant that required low GH. So i used RO/TAP 30/70 to get my GH to about 4. You can do the same with supplements, but gets expensive. Only other reason i could think of to use RO for freshwater is to reduce calcium buildup.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
(IMO) you need to test your source water GH + KH before determining whether you need RO or not. KH level will set the range of the tank pH (The lower the KH the lower the pH) TDS is not tracked by most fresh water folks rather GH and KH. Keeping several tanks and having very hard well water I use RO. I do track TDS and my tanks range from 194 to 540 (tested this weekend) all are planted. High or low TDS you can still grow most plants. More of a factor is the species of critters you intend to stock.

Its always recommended to work with within the range of your source water rather than play mad chemist. I play mad chemist because I've chosen freshwater angels as my primary species and they prefer soft water.

Pre mixed GH boosters are offered by several companies. Using several I've settled on Rex Grigg's grumpy's mix and I'm happy with the results and cost of the product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.