The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
If you're tap is good for the parameters you want on the tank RO is not needed.
My tap is crap so I use RO. WISHING I could use tap as that would be easier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tap water is at the same hardness that I add equlibrium to my RO to achieve, so I leave myself wondering sometimes why I use RO. I have pretty good quality tap water in general.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Using Distilled or R/O water

Hello LCP...

Using these types of water in your tank isn't a good idea. After treating it for ammonia, chlorine and chloramine, your city water replenishes calcium and natural mineral buffers that maintain a level pH. Your plants need a continuous source of calcium and other nutrients provided when you do your frequent and large water changes. Distilled and R/O water contain no buffers and can cause sudden changes in the acidity or alkalinity of your tank water.

Just treat your city water and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
My tap water is at the same hardness that I add equlibrium to my RO to achieve, so I leave myself wondering sometimes why I use RO. I have pretty good quality tap water in general.
This is something I can only dream of where I live LOL
Treat the tap and use it :smile:
I strip the water with the RO unit and add minerals back to provide whats needed for the tank. If my tap was good that's a bunch of money and effort saved. You never posted the parameters but saying that you mix back to the base reading of the tap kinda says the same thing.
You're one of the lucky tankers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its all about what your fish and plants require. I use different mixtures in different tanks. Stability is key. One tank I mix RO with tap to lower the pH, while others do fine with all tap. You do need the minerals from the tap ---you can add chemically to replenish RO, but I find it easier to mix it with tap. Also, call your water department to fine out what they put into their water, and when they "burn" the water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello LCP...

Using these types of water in your tank isn't a good idea. After treating it for ammonia, chlorine and chloramine, your city water replenishes calcium and natural mineral buffers that maintain a level pH. Your plants need a continuous source of calcium and other nutrients provided when you do your frequent and large water changes. Distilled and R/O water contain no buffers and can cause sudden changes in the acidity or alkalinity of your tank water.

Just treat your city water and your fish and plants will be fine.

B
This is a good answer .I Like it

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you have a RO, you should have a TDS meter. What's your tap water?

over here, it's like 350~ but i don't keep inverts in my F/W and just treating it or using RO waste water is fine.

I use 5G water bottles for my tank at work with inverts. Pain in the ass to lug 5 5G jugs though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.