The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've recently installed a small, cheap RODI unit to provide water for my tanks:
https://aquaticlife.com/products/aquatic-life-ro-buddie-3-4-stage-compact-reverse-osmosis-systems
It's the 50 GPD 4 stage with DI unit I have.

It seems to work really well taking tap water down from about 140 TDS / 3-4 dGH / 1-2 dKH down to zero. I'm measuring TDS with a new HM Digital AP-1 stick which I calibrated at 342ppm NaCl. I use a little pot of RO water to rinse the probe after use in the tank, and the 0 TDS slowly creeps up to 1, 2, 3, 4.... as small amounts of tap water are washed off. What I'm trying to say is that I think 0 TDS is actually pretty much 0 TDS... maybe.

However in the installation instructions, it says that this unit may not remove chloramines. I know that my Singapore tap water has up to 3mg/l monochloramine which I obviously don't want in my tanks!

So I'm just wondering, does the 0ppm TDS reading of my RODI water mean that chloramines are being removed, or should I still be adding Prime dechlorinator before putting the water into a tank?

Seems I could add on a special chloramine removal filter (e.g. this), but that's almost as much as I paid for the whole RO system so want to be sure it is needed before spending more money.

Any thoughts or experience to share please?
Thanks, James

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,834 Posts
Hi. I've recently installed a small, cheap RODI unit to provide water for my tanks:
https://aquaticlife.com/products/aquatic-life-ro-buddie-3-4-stage-compact-reverse-osmosis-systems
It's the 50 GPD 4 stage with DI unit I have.

It seems to work really well taking tap water down from about 140 TDS / 3-4 dGH / 1-2 dKH down to zero. I'm measuring TDS with a new HM Digital AP-1 stick which I calibrated at 342ppm NaCl. I use a little pot of RO water to rinse the probe after use in the tank, and the 0 TDS slowly creeps up to 1, 2, 3, 4.... as small amounts of tap water are washed off. What I'm trying to say is that I think 0 TDS is actually pretty much 0 TDS... maybe.

However in the installation instructions, it says that this unit may not remove chloramines. I know that my Singapore tap water has up to 3mg/l monochloramine which I obviously don't want in my tanks!

So I'm just wondering, does the 0ppm TDS reading of my RODI water mean that chloramines are being removed, or should I still be adding Prime dechlorinator before putting the water into a tank?

Seems I could add on a special chloramine removal filter (e.g. this), but that's almost as much as I paid for the whole RO system so want to be sure it is needed before spending more money.

Any thoughts or experience to share please?
Thanks, James

"WARNING: The RO Buddie will remove chlorine, but NOT chloramines. Test your water and/or check with your local water company to find out if you have chloramines in your water."
I would tend to believe the above statement is correct. In my RO system, the second filter is Granulated Active Carbon and the third filter is the Carbon Block. Your system appears to only have 1 carbon filter.
Some further information can be found https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/how-to-remove-chloramines-from-water

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, in the end I decided the only way to be really sure was to install an additional cartridge designed specifically for the removal of chloramine:
https://aquaticlife.com/collections...atalytic-gac-cartridge-for-chloramine-removal

Easy enough to install and not too costly. I think that the existing RO / carbon filters were doing a good job at removing chlorine / chloramine (TDS always zero), but the suggestion is that chloramine will quickly reduce the effectiveness of the filters. So at worst, the additional cartridge will hopefully extend the life / effectiveness of the RO membrane and cartridge filter. Either way, now at least I am as sure as I can be that there's no chloramine or chlorine getting into my shrimp tanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dope man, good call. I’ve got the exact same setup, but haven’t dropped the $ for the chloramine filter yet. I’m still adding a few drops of Prime to the RO/DI water just to be safe, but I know that the chloramine will reduce the life of the rest of of the system. I’ll snag one of those extra cartridges soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts