The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the plunge and buying a RO filter so I can finally have happy CRS and OEBTs (tap water runs 7.7). At the moment I am leaning towards iSpring's 75GPD 5-stage unit, but would greatly appreciate any input on it, or other units. I live far enough off the beaten path that buying and storing RO water from a store really isn't desirable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bulk Reef Supply. I just bought a 5 stage chloramine system for $170. You can get ~11% off their built systems if you join a group buy. Custom systems dont get discounted

·
Registered
703 Posts
I love my purewaterclub.com filter. Got the 100gpd unit with ro drinking water output for $100 shipped. Had it for almost a year now and make probably 30 gallons a week and i'm still getting 0tds.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've got one of the air water ice system and its a 100 gpd and been working great till now.
Most system normally filters less than it says.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I love my purewaterclub.com filter. Got the 100gpd unit with ro drinking water output for $100 shipped. Had it for almost a year now and make probably 30 gallons a week and i'm still getting 0tds.
How much waste water to make the 30 gallons? Any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who's chimed in so far--lots of good stuff to look over :)

@Forumsnow: does your model also do DI? I don't see any 100gpd RO only units, and am wondering if I'm missing it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Denske I could not tell you the amount of waste, I do not pay for water so never reallyaid attention. If you would really like to know i could test it today.
Clarkkoi it is a ro\di 5 stage i believe. It has a output off the ro so you can use it for drinking water without having to use the di. I use ro for drinking water amd di for shrimp tanks.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Can take 5 to 8 gallon's of tapwater to make one gallon of R/O last time I checked.
I decided to use peat based soil in my tank to lower hardness for soft water species of fishes.
Could also boil some peat in large stock pot to mix with tapwater.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bulk Reef Supply. I just bought a 5 stage chloramine system for $170. You can get ~11% off their built systems if you join a group buy. Custom systems dont get discounted
Can you tell me what the output pH from the unit runs? I've heard of output in the 6's, but my understanding is that it should be 7.0 (without co2)?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just got a Aquatic Life RO buddie 50gpd for under $60. Its pretty good so far for the price. Its made me about 60 gallons of water from 7.0ph 220ppm down to 5.8ph 3-4ppm

·
Registered
389 Posts
Interesting, is that 5.8 aerated? 3-4ppm from 220ppm is very nice :)
Yup, i have about 10 gallons I keep in a barrel with a air stone for about a week now and its right at 5.8. Its a good setup for an apartment if you dont want to rig it under your sink. I just screwed mine to a long 1x4 and put it in my shower whenever I run it. It came with a 3/4" connector for the sink, but I got a cheap valve and rigged it to my shower head. Waste water is 5-6:1, which I consider high but I rent and dont pay the water bill so who cares.

·
Super Moderator
15,830 Posts
Just a note: pH of RO/DI water doesn't matter so much because there's nothing in it (no minerals, no dissolved solids) to 'set' it or buffer it. That would require KH. Have to add minerals back to get the parameters you want (KH/GH/pH) and using a buffering substrate if you want a fixed pH without adding KH.

My favorite RO/DI filters:

Spectrapure
Bulk Reef Supply
Filter Guyz
Buckeye Field Supply
Air Water Ice

Most 100GPD units waste a ton of water. And from experience, the BRS 75GPD wastes a ton less than the PWC 75GPD unit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I never actually checked the pH of my water but I can make a new batch tonight when I get home. I think I get around 3gal of waste per gal of RO, but I'll double check.

I thought about ordering those $100 ebay 5 stage units from eBay, but after going over the specs of filters and the membrane, I ultimately bit the bullet and got the more expensive BRS unit. If you don't have chloramines in your tap, you can probably get away with the cheaper units

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just made a gallon of RO/DI and pH came out to 6.0. Tap water comes out at 7.0-7.5. Test kit is only a month old and exp in 2018. Interesting... I had assumed it would be 7 as well

Another note, I produced ~2.5gal of waste water from making 1 gal of RO/DI on the 75gpd unit.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yup, i have about 10 gallons I keep in a barrel with a air stone for about a week now and its right at 5.8. Its a good setup for an apartment if you dont want to rig it under your sink. I just screwed mine to a long 1x4 and put it in my shower whenever I run it. It came with a 3/4" connector for the sink, but I got a cheap valve and rigged it to my shower head. Waste water is 5-6:1, which I consider high but I rent and dont pay the water bill so who cares.
This is my situation. I need this setup, LOL :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
15,830 Posts
Tested both a 75 and 100 GPD unit from PWC this morning. Even with high water pressure (ideal), I wasted about 5-6 gallons of water for each gallon made with both units.

Spectrapure: less than 2 gallons of waste.

BRS: Just over a gallon of waste (estimating by eye, here) - but it's a dual membrane setup. So I guess it'd be about 2 gallons of waste with a single membrane.

I'm usually one of those people who will blast you for wasting water and not caring. But the waste water - if you save it - certainly comes in handy for gardening and cleaning. I've got three old barrels I keep outside for waste water and it helps keep the other half calm-ish when I use tons of water.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Even with high water pressure (ideal)
Just how high of water pressure are you talking about. I've got insane water pressure and it has been preventing me from buying a RO/DI system. Heard if your water pressure is too high it can ruin them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts