The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just want to follow up if I will be safe with adding RO/DI water to my planted tank with automatic CO2. My understanding is that RO/DI unit will bring the KH down to 0. Since I am pumping in CO2 I want to make sure that the fish and plants will be OK.
I read through quite a few posts here but I could nto find a firm answer as to if this will be OK or not. Has it been confirmed yet if it is OK?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
It's ok, you want to reconstitute it with minerals. Some use tap water to do this, others use calcium carbonate, baking soda etc. Kent marine has a product called RO right, I use some cheap junk I got from the lfs called Electro-right for GH, and Seachem alkeline buffer for KH, it never dissipates like baking soda did in my tank. I only bring mine up to 3dKH and about 7dGH.

Just read up on reconstituting RO water and you'll see all the options out there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hello

Just want to follow up if I will be safe with adding RO/DI water to my planted tank with automatic CO2.
No doubt you'll never get a "straight" answer about the use of RO/DI in your tank. My opinion (because I used to use it) is that so long as you are careful to monitor your water and add buffer as necessary, you'll be fine. RO water won't be toxic, and if your time and patience allow for it, will let you create water to nearly your exact requirements... whatever those may be. Go ahead any try it out, start with a 50/50 ratio of RO to tap and proceed from there. Just remember to monitor your water because it will be very soft and slightly acidic after the filtering process.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info. I will try it out and see what happens. I guess to be on a safer side it is better to add some buffers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.