The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering why everyone is on the ro/di bandwagon and not distilled. The distilled counter top unit is a bit expensive at $200 and slow as it takes 4 or 5 hrs to get a gallon but you don't have 100g of waste water. You just need a big barrel and time to fill it and keep it full. Is there a difference? I'm asking because I live in a small town in Ms and there is no ro/di just distilled at walmart for 87c a gallon. I run 3 tanks an 8, a 10 and a 13 so I about 10g a week in wc's. I haven't gotten a unit yet I really want to know about options.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Distilled is fine,.. maybe even a little better depending on how good your RO unit is - but look at how much power that device takes. Normally water is distilled by boiling it, then collecting what evaporates and draining it into another chamber. This makes the devices that distill water very power hungry.

Whiskey

P.S. RO/DI makes about 4 gallons of waste for every gallon of good water (once again depending on your unit),.. Not 100. :)

Whiskey

·
Registered
155 Posts
P.S. RO/DI makes about 4 gallons of waste for every gallon of good water (once again depending on your unit),.. Not 100. :)

Whiskey
I think he was referring to how quickly the waste adds up if you're making more than a couple gallons of RO. Using your 4:1 ratio, you'd only need to make 25gal of RO to create 100gal of waste water.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes the ratio to waste water actually i was being conservative if i use 10g a week on w/c thats 40g wasted, what do you end up doing with all that wasted water. I don't know what turns out to be worse the 160g wasted water a month or the extra 5 or 10 bucks in electricity. I guess it would have to be if there is a water shortage in your area.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The counter top unit doesn't consume a lot of electricity, no filters, membrane replacement needed compared to RO and the water is pure every time. I got one refurbished years ago from ebay for $90, still running perfect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Shrimpo I may look on Ebay, I found the one I want on Amazon new for $200 which is a bit high, now i just need to find a big tub to store water in.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
yes the ratio to waste water actually i was being conservative if i use 10g a week on w/c thats 40g wasted, what do you end up doing with all that wasted water. I don't know what turns out to be worse the 160g wasted water a month or the extra 5 or 10 bucks in electricity. I guess it would have to be if there is a water shortage in your area.

If you have a 4:1 waste to good ro, you need to get a better unit that is not efficient at all. Min is about 1:3 and I get tds 0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts