The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting an RO/DI unit just for "<censored> & giggles". Anyone know if this is a pretty good unit? Just thinking about getting the 24gpd one since that's more than enough for my needs as well as the flush valve for it (unless it's not really a hassle to take the membranes out and wash them....but for $12 bucks I can't really complain). Also, what are the pros/cons of RO/DI water vs well water? Do I even need it? Also, yes, I have well water and it is delicious. Be jealous. :cool:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you are doing SW or have issues with your well water, there really isn't any point in spending the money on a filter unit. If you are going to waste the money, might as well waste less of it and get something like this....

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/Mighty-Mite-50GPD-with-DI-Added.html

Very popular with the SW crowd and gets great reviews.
I actually think that's the unit that a friend of mine has hooked up to his toilet...lol. His tank is always great as well. I just hear about people using RO/DI water for shrimp all the time and didn't know if I could get by without it.

Did you type censored or did it automatically do that LOL
Did it myself to respect the community's younger members and those who don't want to see profanity, but know the meaning of the phrase. Although, in this day and age not like it really matters that much, eh? :p

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I actually think that's the unit that a friend of mine has hooked up to his toilet...lol. His tank is always great as well. I just hear about people using RO/DI water for shrimp all the time and didn't know if I could get by without it.
I don't know enough about shrimp to say...but I read some if not all are sensitive to water condition so perhaps it isn't a terrible idea if you keep or plan to keep them. I just know that unless you are very lucky, they are almost mandatory for SW tanks unless you have access to water from somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know enough about shrimp to say...but I read some if not all are sensitive to water condition so perhaps it isn't a terrible idea if you keep or plan to keep them. I just know that unless you are very lucky, they are almost mandatory for SW tanks unless you have access to water from somewhere else.
I don't think my water is terrible but I've never had much luck with ghost shrimp (then again they're brackish, aren't they?). They generally live a couple months and then start to kill over. Maybe my catfish just gets to eat well, eh? ;) Who knows though. I'm hoping to have better luck with some actual freshwater shrimp in a safer environment.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
That is an excellent system, you will not be unhappy with it. One thing you will want to do with any unit is run at least 10 gallons at a time to prevent TDS creep. Also you may need to run the filter for about 15 minutes if has been several days between use to get it operating at peak efficiency.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got the Melevsreef 100gpd 5 stage RO/DI for my SW and don't have any complaints. I got it used for $75 and have not had any problems with it or my tank, plus my wife refils 1 gallon jugs for drinking water. (we have city water and a well, but she likes knowing that her water is really clean?) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.