The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Buckeye Field Supply, Bulk Reef Supply, Swap n Shop, eBay. What you get depends on what you want to spend, of course, and the initial cost of RO/DI isn't cheap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am planning to spend around 150 - 200(Cheaper better). Where should i start? I might want to start salt water tank in the future so I wanna get something with Di unit.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Here is the BEST deal you can get for the range you want to spend IMO.

This one is below your range and has everything you would need to make perfect water (2 sediment pre filters, DI and RO).

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-4-stage-economy-system.html

This is at the top of your range and is a 5 stage system but had a dual reading TDS meter (to be able to see the drop in TDS from tap to product water and also a pressure meter and everything else you would need, ever!). If I ever have to replace my 4 stage (very similar to the top link which gives me 0ppm TDS product water from my ~300ppm TDS tap water).

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html

·
Registered
529 Posts
I highly recommend this company: http://thefilterguys.biz/ I've bought two units from them over the past 7 yrs and think the units are fantastic, good price, etc. They've got a 5-stage RO/DI, 75 GPD for $135. You'd need to be sure you got a faucet adapter, etc., if you plan to leave it a portable unit. But they can add that in. For the price and quality, I'm not certain these guys can be beat.

·
Registered
620 Posts
First thing you need to consider is:

1. How much RO do I need to produce daily
2. What is my water source? Do I have adequate pressure?

Plan to spend on the average of about $150-$200 for a good RO/DI with the right accessories.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I highly recommend this company: http://thefilterguys.biz/ I've bought two units from them over the past 7 yrs and think the units are fantastic, good price, etc. They've got a 5-stage RO/DI, 75 GPD for $135. You'd need to be sure you got a faucet adapter, etc., if you plan to leave it a portable unit. But they can add that in. For the price and quality, I'm not certain these guys can be beat.
+1 on The Filter Guys! The more water you want per day will cost you more in cost. Mine does 300 GPD but is plumbed right to my tank for easy water changes.

Craig

·
Registered
754 Posts
The cost for a 75-100-150GPD isn't that much more. I got one from ebay which I didn't look clearly uses compression fittings instead of john guest fittings but it works just the same.

I have a 29G reef and opted for the 150GPD only because I'm impatient and use a garden hose adapter until I can find a permanent place for it.

The higher GPD filters are less efficient like 90%~ unless you get dual 75GPD or something but I can live with it for faster water production.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
What do u think about this unit compare to 139.99? Is it worth play 60 dollar? what the difference?

$ 199.00 - OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI

also what difference between this two units? the other company is 30 dollar cheaper since is free shipping.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html
Do you mean the $129 system? I cant find a $139 system at BRS.

If its the $129 system here are the features that the $199 system has over it.

-5 stage unit v 4 stage unit that includes the filter I describe below.

-It has a finer pre-fiter that is specifically for removing very fine sediments and chlorine before water hits the RO membrane or DI chamber.

-comes with an auto shut off valve

-has the dual TDS meter built in. This is a great feature and I constantly go back and forth about purchasing one to put on my system (~$30 to purchase from here, BRS) as it gives you instant readings on the water where you choose to set the probes at. You could set one before the filter to get a tap water TDS reading then put one on the product water line to see what the TDS is after complete filtration. You could also put one pre RO membrane and one after to see how effective your RO membrane is performing (since it actually removes ~90% of all water contaminants). The possibilities are endless but it would be a very valuable tool that would allow you to constantly measure your systems effectiveness and also let you know when you should replace filters.

- has a flush kit for the RO membrane. I have never used one but this could extend the useful life of your ro membrane (most expensive single filter) 3-4 times then without one.

- has a pressure gauge which you put inline. This is also a good tool to help decide when filters need to be changed as a pressure drop from whatever the pressure reads when first hooked up would denote clogged filters (normally just the pre filters, not the RO membrane or DI resin chamber).

Do you have any idea what the TDS ppm your tap water contains? If its below 400ppm the 4 stage system would be fine (it would be fine with higher ppm tap water but you may have to replace pre filters every 4 months instead of every 6-8 months, which is what I do).

You can increase the GPD of any unit but you just need to make sure that the membrane you have is rated for close to whatever the flow restriction module you put on it is.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I m debating between these 2. HELP!

Filter guy

OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI $199 + 32 shipping

All systems are made to order with clear 10" canister housings
Stage One NSF rated 5 micron poly sediment filter
Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx NSF rated CTO Workhorse carbon block
Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx NSF rated chlorine guzzler carbon block
RO membrane 75 GPD Dow Filmtec
Stage Five refillable cartridge with color-changing DI resin
100 PSI pressure gauge
Auto shut-off (Requires Float Valve or Switch To Work)
Membrane flush valve
Dual TDS meter
Quick connect fittings
Self Piercing Saddle Valve Water Supply Connection
Drain Connection
Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy

or

Bulk Reef

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System $199+free shipping

4 stage RO unit
Single DI stage with refillable cartridge
Air filled pressure gauge
Flush kit
Dual inline TDS meter
75 GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane
Purtrex 5 micron depth sediment filter
MATRIKX CTO/2 5 micron carbon block
MATRIKX+1 0.6 micron carbon block
MUR-LOK Quick Connect (QC) dual EPDM O-Ring fittings
Automatic shut-off valve
1/4" QC drain clamp
One MUR-LOK QC ball valve for easy on/off
Filter wrench
Self piercing saddle valve
Chrome faucet connector
Utility sink/garden hose adapter
Murlok angle stop adaptor

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I just asked this question not long ago but haven't jumped in yet, but BRS has videos and will answer the phone, I tried emailing the pure water club and it's been aleast a week with not reply other than the auto reply. When your buying these units it's good to know a little about your water so I would test all you can or get a water report for your area, this will allow them to tailor fit your unit, slower units clean better and need less in the gizmo dept., the filter guys seem really good as well.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I just asked this question not long ago but haven't jumped in yet, but BRS has videos and will answer the phone, I tried emailing the pure water club and it's been aleast a week with not reply other than the auto reply. When your buying these units it's good to know a little about your water so I would test all you can or get a water report for your area, this will allow them to tailor fit your unit, slower units clean better and need less in the gizmo dept., the filter guys seem really good as well.
BRS does have some of the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of coming across. I emailed their online rep for a couple of weeks (who is awesomely named Brandon so he had an auto +1 in my book!) asking a TON of questions about just what kind of filters I needed to purchase when it was time for me to replace the pre filters. He answered my questions thoroughly and thoughtfully.

If you want to compare apples to apples you should be comparing the filter guyz system you linked to this kit from BRS.

Is there any specific reason that you did not consider the above linked BRS system or are interested in the cheaper 4 stage unit?

All in all they look to be about the exact same except for the filters that are used. And of the filters the only one that looks to be different is the first stage purely sediment filter. The ones from BRS are the industry standard and you cannot get a better filter unless you want to drop some serious coin, which would be completely pointless.

The BRS has a chrome faucet connector and since the FG's system doesn't say theirs is chrome I would assume that it is plastic. The BRS system also has a Utility sink/garden hose adapter and it does not appear that the FG's model has that.

So the BRS has a few not too huge extra accessories and Customer service that is unrivaled in the business. I actually did email the filter guyz as I emailed about 4 different companies about the filters I needed to replace and of the 4 FG's was the only company that did not respond, I actually sent a second email as it is possible that I screwed up and didn't send the first one somehow but after a week of no response on the second email they were crossed off the list for sure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts