The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with phosphates in my water. Is it better to use a phosphate remover or to install a RO/DI system? What will be cheaper? If I use a RO/DI will I have to use other conditioners? I have a 100gal fresh and a 12gal salt.

Fresh soon to be planted once this is under control and salt soon to be coral.

Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts
You cant beat using RO/DI water but it is not necessary. Phosphate remover will obviously be a lot cheaper and easier. Do you use a sump on the 100? You could add a refugium that will help with removing these. On top of this you can do more frequent water changes and decrease the amount of time that your lights are on in the day.

On my saltwater reef tank I used chemi-pure elite for phosphate removing. This stuff is incredible. It lasts for several months and is rechargeable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I have a sump with a uv light on it. The lights not a real problem nor is over stock. The source of the water(my house) is where the phosphates are coming from so more water changes wont work. I am doing 20% ro/di water change and adding phosguard today to see what happens. I have heard of a refugium but don't know what it's for or how to install one basically I know nothing about them.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k so this is the tank now. As well as my sump. The bag is the phos guard for my phosphate problem I have been having it went in today and the black think to the right on the ground is the uv light. Any suggestions appreciated. I love good criticizem.

Keep in mind this is one day to have a 4' piece of driftwood and be planted. I checked my wood today-week 3 and it floats just as much as the first day. although i am draining and filling every other day I am having a huge mosquito outbreak, maybe cuz i'm curing it outside? oh well!

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/corley84/?action=view&current=101_0398.jpg

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/corley84/?action=view&current=101_0399.jpg

·
Registered
952 Posts
A refugium is a seperate area from the tank, usually in the sump, where plants or macroalgae grow. It is as simple as a planted tank with a light in one compartment of your sump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.