The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently ordered a new BRS 5 stage plus RO/DI unit because my tap water contains too much nitrates and its becoming hard to manage. Also, I like being able to have more overall control of the water quality. Anyway, my question is what is the best way to store the clean water and how long can it be stored for? I have done research and can't find much good information other than a food grade container is needed.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
I use 55 gallon barrels that I bought for $10-15 from craigslist that were previously used for storing soda flavoring.

I do not know how long you can store the water, I'd guess indefinitely. You can use a bubbler if you like, though I do not and I haven't seen any negative effects in 3+ years.

·
Registered
625 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question and I don't think it to be true but some people claim that the heated water will cause mold, bacteria and algae. Is it true?
Its basically a running aquarium without the filter/ bacteria a week or so is fine any water left long enough would grow soothing, also I dont like to leave the pump and heater on for extended times my 5 aquariums cost enough to run , I make a average of 125 gallons of ro buffered a week

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I ordered a white 20 gallon brute can because I only have 2 aquariums. That leaves me with enough to do a 20% on both aquariums at the same time if I ever needed to. I have an extra pump, heater and thermometer so I should be set to go.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I'm also looking into setting up a RO unit for my aquarium. You guys mind sharing how your setup look like? Is it automatic or manually turning on the pump for each water change? thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I only have my 12 gallon Edge so far and didn't want to take up half the first floor laundry with water storage so I found the Hydroller from Reliant. Its hold 8 gallon, is on wheels and made for storing drinking water. I like the large cap and plan to mount my adjustable float to it so I can easily refill it and plumb my Whale 1352 water pump. The pump runs on 12V so it should run fine off an emergency lighting battery. It was only $29 when I got mine, its $35 on amazon now but qualifies for Prime.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also looking into setting up a RO unit for my aquarium. You guys mind sharing how your setup look like? Is it automatic or manually turning on the pump for each water change? thanks!
.... They have a bunch of videos explaining everything about the system and how to install it.

It can be set up permanently and automatically fill your storage or it can be used to fill up your storage and then moved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.