The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember this store had like 4 locations around NE Ohio. Are any of them still around? I managed to find their website but none of the catalog links work. If they are still around, is the place worth visiting? I have had to buy fish from petsmart and they are all diseased. I've had 5 fish die in the last 2 months...

Please let me know.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I was there maybe.....6 months ago? I forget which one.

It was a nice place. Not fantastic, not horrible. I was there the day before a new shipment so not much was to be seen. What I could see were healthy fish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Appreciate your response. Any fish stores in the NE Ohio worth even mentioning? I know there are a bunch of people that have aquariums here but where do you get your livestock?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Honestly, I can't help you. I know of very few between Cleveland and Columbus (my current area.....guess I should change my profile eh?), so I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of luck. Haven't bought a fish since I moved back here.

Now Toledo, different story. Ever head that way please stop by Trilby Tropicals!

·
Registered
205 Posts
RMS isn't too bad, the last time I was there was months back though. I've been to the one near Parma. They're probably your best bet for a general fish store in that area. Plants aren't usually in the best shape though, every time i've looked there was quite a bit of algae in the tanks and on the plants.

Aquarium Adventure was in Brook Park but they closed down. If you're into cichlids, there's a place near Cleaveland called Something Fishy. http://www.somethingfishyinc.net/ . They have really nice fish, and always healthy. In the cellar they have a hatchery where they breed many of the cichlids they sell. I know he can order some fish too if you're interested too.

I think there are some more places in the Mentor/Ashtabula area that may be worth looking into. I don't know of any other places

·
Registered
586 Posts
as far as i know, there is only one location of RMS aquaculture.

6629 Engle Rd
Cleveland, OH 44130-7943
(216) 433-1340

It is a pretty good place for saltwater fish in Cleveland area.
Freshwater fishes are OK. Plants usually covered with algae....

Something Fishy is a pretty good place for fish that you won't find in RMS or other chain pet stores (ex: Petco). Do be aware that due to rarity, the fish there could be expensive.

4764 State Rd
Cleveland, OH 44109
(216) 398-0607

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Just got back from RMS. They had a TON of freshwater fish. Discus were in lousy condition but the tank was cloudy leaving me to believe there was a bacterial bloom or something. I don't keep discus, so I really didn't care.

I did walk away with:

2 Trapdoor snails
2 Zebra Snails
1 Siamese Algae Eater (hoping to take care of my hair algae battle)
2 bunches of Bacopa
2 bunches Rotala indica

All algae free! I was rather impressed with their stock and prices. GBR's were $6.50 and in rather decent condition. A few lookers in the tanks too!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went to RMS for the first time on tuesday....First i'd like to say that is an awesome store...best i have been to so far...But i wanted to let everyone know that they have the fluval ebi tank in...fluval shrimp vitamins and food....fluval shrimp substrate and they also have lots of shrimp in...they have crystal reds...cherry shrimp...blueberry shrimp...amano...orange bee shrimp...red nose shrimp....and they were getting several more kinds in...they more shrimp we buy from there the more they will order for us

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Interesting. What were they asking for the CRS? I'm not too interested in the rest you posted (hard to breed/need salt/etc).

·
Registered
262 Posts
they are 6.89 each with 20% off that until dec. 31st...not a bad price...pure convience of not having to have them shipped peaked my interest...im like you though not too interested in the others except the cherries...they are very nice loking...hopeing if people start buying them there that they will continue to get other types

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
the CRS did look pretty nice i was there just a few days ago and got a few things. if your looking for a nice store that is private owned i like something fishy on state rd. its 11 minutes away and dave is a great guy to deal with!!!! i will be going back up there soon for sure!

·
Registered
262 Posts
i just called rms to see what they have for shrimp before i go up tommorow and they have like 7 different kinds they named off...some i dont know what they are...he said one is green with a red tail??? not sure what that one is....sold out of crystals :(..so much for gettiing a few more

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a love-hate thing for RMS. I'll go nowhere else but there when it comes to healthy fish. Every fish I've gotten from there is still alive after a couple ich attacks and a bout with fungus.

But when it comes to hardware, they want your first born for typical stuff you can find just about anywhere else. Then it's time to stop in at Dave's...aka Something Fishy Inc. He's got the good stuff for a respectable price.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Glad to see that RMS is expanding it's shrimp variety. They have been my LFS since I have been in the hobby, and I can remember them only havinng ghost shrimp for the longest time.

I have never been terribly impressed with the plant selection, but I suppose it is alright. I always check it out when I am there, but I have never bought anything from it. I was acutally talking to a manager at one point about the possibilty of setting up a more complex planted tank (they have one typically), and he seemed pretty into it. I don't what that means, but I would be glad if they did expand to have better plant variety.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts