The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re starting my 75 Gallon. I live about two blocks from a river. Think there would be any value to adding a couple gallons of river water to my tank to help with the initial cycle?

I've heard to get Mulm from an established tank but I don't really know anyone with a tank.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The water itself is not going to help anything really, all will do is potentially introduce parasites.

The way to jumpstart a cycle is by introducing mature substrate or a used filter pad that is already colonized with good bacteria.

I would post something in the illinois sub-forum on this site asking if there is anyone near you that you can get a used filter pad or something. I could send you mine as I was planning on swtiching out the polyfil in my canisters this weekend but I don't think the bacteria would survive the trip.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ask at a local aquarium store. They should be willing to give you a bunch of mulmy gravel, especially if you buy a bag for them to replace it with.

They might also give you the squeezings from the sponge of an active HOB or canister filter. Bring it home in a plastic bag. Buy something from the store to show your appreciation.

Either one would give your cycling an enormous head start. All you have to do is ask, probably.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Go to the LFS or talk to the dept. mgr at PetCo or PetSmart. Take your sponge/foam media. Ask them to put in in the water from a water change/gravel cleaning and squeeze it a few times. Take it home in a bag of their dirty water.

Be sure to SPEND SOME MONEY IN THAT STORE!!!

:biggrin:

It wouldn't hurt to tell them your looking for a new place to spend your money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.