The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
I am new to the Unites States and am really happy to find this forum here with so many knowledgeable people for help.
I have been doing planted tanks with ADA substrate for a while and was trying something more simple with rocks as hardscape and sand as substrate.

Tank Specs:
10 gallon tank
River rocks
Sand (CaribeaSea brand)
Livestock: planning a bunch of cardinal tetras.

I want to add some background plants like valesnaria or something...would like some help and suggestions on improvements.

I dont wanna do Co2 for now...

Thanks,
Zeus

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
What light are you using ?
Perhaps after some plants get growing in there it may take on a different look, but now it tends to look "planned" to me especially the three stones in the middle/back.
You did follow the concept of an odd number of rocks to keep the ends from being coppies of each other. But two peaks evenly spaced from each end I think is what mostly gives the planned look. Then also I'm sure someone else can see another perspective of it that I don't so see what they come up with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Raymond & Will,

I think I see what you guys are saying. I ordered some driftwood, so waiting for it...but im gonna do something about the 2 vertical stones and will repost a pic later today...

Zeus

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still waiting for my Manzanita branches to arrive. Will rescape once I get them and post it here for suggestions.

I wanted some suggestions for plants for a hardscape like this..i'm completely blank :(...stem plants would look nice ...but with the below parameters....not sure..
Good light and filtration, sand substrate with no Co2 ....

Zeus

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Manzanita wood and this is how the tank looks now.

Raymond, does the rock placement look better now?

Anyone else with any thoughts?

Zeus

·
Registered
70 Posts
wow that CaribeaSea brand sand looks great, especially with those white river stones! I would only suggest getting some pebble size rocks and trying to pepper them around the larger stones. (a good reference: natural biotope look ) Even if you are going planted tank, it might be good to add a few small pebbles to accent those larger ones. (reference: planted river stones )

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
By comparing those two pictures I have concluded that it is to your liking which is the most important thing here. It is better. That branch should be left movable as it will be hard to say the least to clean behind it if not. I also like how you placed it. Most want
them to stand up but trees don't grow under water. They do fall into the water and that looks more natural to me.
Try putting the filter pick up line next to the heater. Just to see how that looks to you.
It will circulate the warmed up water and be hidden better there.
There must be some space behind the rocks. Get some regular baby tears and plant them individually in a few of the holes back there.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php?do=view&p=87&n=Pearl_Weed_Hemianthus_micranthemoides
Trying to keep this simple/w med growing plants that you can trim to keep them from goin all the way up. I have 2 x 10g so I know how hard it is to get the right sized plants for them. I try to stay away from any/w large leaves. I have that plant in one of mine and if you can't find it I'll send you some free except the postage but don't have much right now. Still it grows easy and will fill in. Look at my profile picture Exp.#1.
It also will grow floating so if you want you can put a little in the top of the bush close to the left end of the tank for example. And look along the front of the rocks...there
is one dark spot where that gap is betwen the two rocks. Get a Petco Crypt and put it there. They usually are very small and easy to grow but pay atention to the planting directions. They do get bigger. Trying to get you started/w easy stuff to grow/work/w.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Raymond ! those are some valuable tips.
Will try to move the filter inlet next to the heater. Will also try out those plants, I saw them at a local store here so will pick them up.

Thanks,
Zues

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Plant ideas:
Most plants will get too big for a 10 without a lot of trimming. That sort of plant is fine to get the tank started, but becomes more work and does not look so good as time goes on.

I would look into the smallest of plants, the dwarf and nano varieties of aquatic plants.
Dwarf and Nano Anubias (There are both kinds, one slightly larger than the other)
Wendelov variety of Java Fern
Mosses that handle trimming well.
The smallest variety of Vals, Sag or mid-sized Hairgrass for the back.
Small Crypts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wasn't sure when you added the pebbles at first...it looked too big and little with not a lot in between. Now that you've added the plants, I've changed my mind....looking excellent! I definitely like that you got rid of the green inflow and outflow tubing....that was throwing off the look.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only thing i can safely recommend is what my dad always told me for a variety things, a good old fashion bottle of time. when that grows in and fills out it will look nice and comfy. The crpyt will offer lots of shelter for your cardinals and conceal your heater nicely. The vals in the back right corner when they reach the top and lay over a slight bit would in my opinion kinda tie it all together. as for the foreground plants and their placement i think they will fill out and offer just enough greenery. the openness will make great swimming area for the fish. i happen to often lean towards the whole " less is more " point of view. nice work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts