The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking up some items(Peat Moss, Permanent Marker, Grid Paper) from Rite Aid and I cam across Garden Safe Blood Meal Source Of Nitrogen 12-0-0. I looked at the ingredients and the only think in there was 12% Nitrogen. I refused to buy until I got more info but when I did a search I couldnt find anything on Aquarium use. Would anyone know if this is safe to use? Only being 5 bucks I would think its worth it if its good to use.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Let's do a little math.

12% of the 5 pound bag you linked us to gives 0.6 pounds....for $5. For 1 pound of nitrogen, it'll be $8.33

At Rex's site, it's $2 per pound of KNO3 plus $5.10 shipping. That's $7.10 for 1 pound.

It'll be cheaper to get 1 pound of KNO3 from Rex. Even more so if you buy your other fertilizers with him to save on shipping.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's do a little math.

12% of the 5 pound bag you linked us to gives 0.6 pounds....for $5. For 1 pound of nitrogen, it'll be $8.33

At Rex's site, it's $2 per pound of KNO3 plus $5.10 shipping. That's $7.10 for 1 pound.

It'll be cheaper to get 1 pound of KNO3 from Rex. Even more so if you buy your other fertilizers with him to save on shipping.
Well I guess in math terms it makes sense. I been avoiding any school work lol(testing all week). Thanks epic.

·
Registered
806 Posts
A lot of nitrogen fertilization products ,not specifically for aquariums, provide nitrogen in the form of "urea nitrogen". It would basically be considered ammonia, and not "nitrates", unless I'm mistaken, and as such would make for a pretty good algae inducing effect.

That would be one of my concerns in thinking about adding it to a tank. They really aren't very specific as to what nitrogen they're using, IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.