The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was running my co2 full blast and my ph dropped to 6.3, then there where some problems with the diffusior and i lowered the bubbles to about 2 bps ... within 2 hours the ph had risen to 6.7:confused: any ideas i mean there is nothing buffering the water to make it more alkali whats with the extreme increase it was the end of the day so it should be higher but i left it as is for the night and when i woke up it was still 6.7 ? seems strange to me what about you ?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
What's your KH?

I try to keep my KH between 3 and 5 degrees in all my tanks. I use Seachem's Alkaline Buffer. Alkaline Buffer

Many people use baking soda to increase KH. Here's a simple calculator: Buffering capacity and pH

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its around 3-4 bps now and its risen to 7.1 somethings deffinatly up !

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
What substrate are you using? Is it Eco complete?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flourite its beeen in there a year.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Something is raising it. Have you done the standing water test? Sometimes a local water dept. will change the parameters for one reason or the other... Or a whole bunch of dead snails (just joking here).

Seriously, something has to be raising it - a rock or such? Or the test kit is off. I don't have a clue otherwise.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sounds like you have a diffuser problem.

You went from crankin the c02 an a ph reading of 6.3 to having a diffuser problem. The fact that you dropped the bps to 2 bps would cause an increase in the ph. If you are having a diffuser problem, the fact that raising the bps to 3-4 would not do a thing if you are still having a diffuser problem!

Soak the diffuser in a 1-10 bleach sollution and try it again.

hth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts