The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a fun new plant. I hope that it will grow for me.

Solid graciously sent me a gift of some white mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa) propagules that he collected while fishing out in the mangroves in Florida.

They are sprouting! I set them up on some wet paper towel in plastic dish, which I floated in a tank. I think that this was a very good idea for starting them because they are getting light, moisture, oxygen and warmth, and because I didn't have any place else to put them.

This is another to add to my collection of pretty good choices for a brackish riparium setup. I will plant them in a couple of hanging planters. I wish I had the room for another tank, one with brackish water and brackish fish.

I should have provided some object for scale--I always forget to do that--the propagules are about 3/8" long.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Do mangroves require brackish water, or are they just able to live in it? That is probably too general a question, since I recall that there are mangroves on some rivers, as well as some coasts. How long do you expect it to take to get a 12 inch high plant from one of those?

·
Banned
332 Posts
I have some mangroves in a freshwater tank without much light and they grow. Only the trunk is in the water and the top sticks outside the tank. Somebody gave me one and I haven't the heart to toss it out. If somebody has a use for it pm me.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some black mangrove (Avicennia germinans) that were collected as propagules in an estuary area, but which I have been growing all along in freshwater. Red mangrove (Rhizophoa mangle) is the only North American mangrove that can grow very well in full-strength seawater. I understand that white mangrove tends to grow on sites further upland and with less saline water than the other species.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a few additional shots when I planted up the propagules last week. They had started to sprout really fast.

Here they are in a planter cup.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have 100000000's of mangroves by my house, how would i find some of these little guys! Where would be a prime spot to look?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try just looking under the trees. You might also look for mature propagules on the adult trees. Mangrove propagules also accumulate and wash up on beaches and other spots with current and wave action.

Remember that it's generally illegal to collect actual sprouted mangrove trees, but in some places you can collect the propagules. Check the laws for the areas where you want to look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts