The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone know the name of this plant? I got it from a nursery here, and they called it an Arecaceae. But, I don't believe that. It looks much more like something in the Spathiphyllum family to me, except that the leaf veins don't run the right way for that. Of course I'm asking because I wonder how it will do in a riparium.

All of the leaves are in pairs only, with only two leaves per stem, so far, but it is a very young plant too.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Know Idea what its called, (sorry!) but It looks really cool!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
That's a handsome plant. I like the way it holds its leaves. It sort of looks like a Bletilla orchid. Can you see any kind of tuber below the surface of the potting media?

It also looks sort of like something in Family Cyclanthaceae. Are the leaves paired? If they are paired leaves on each petiole then it's probably a Cyclanthaceae.

Another idea is an Aspidistra cast iron plant. I like Aspidistra a lot. If it is an Aspidistra then I doubt that it will make it as a riparium plant. They need dryish, well-drained soil.

It could also be seedlings of some kind of Arecaceae (the palm family).

I don't think it's a Spathiphyllum.

Can you get a close-up of the crown?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This plant consists of numerous stems, each with paired leaves on it, each leaf with 3 longitudinal veins, but no lateral ones I can see. The oldest stem is starting another stem from near the bottom, like grassy plants tend to do, but the original pair of leaves have no crown, and no evidence of further growth from between the leaves. No tuber is visible, but I haven't removed it from the pot yet. In the original photo above, you can see the front pair of leaves, which overlap and the planes of the leaves are parallel, not opposed.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I think it's probably a Cyclanthaceae. It might be able to grow in a riparium. I remember seeing some in Costa Rica growing right along the edges of streams. I would try it with the bottom 1/2 of the planter cup filled with Hydroton so that there is free water diffusion around the roots.

Check out these pictures of Cyclanthus...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=cyclanthus%20&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now the stems are about 10 inches tall. I'm leaning towards it being a Rhapis variety, http://images.google.com/imgres?img...org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&start=20&um=1

The leaves of this plant are almost exactly like what mine have, and the growth seems as described. If this is one of the Japanese miniature varieties it should do well in a riparium - I think. Asiatic nursery has a lot of varieties of this available.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From:http://images.google.com/imgres?img...org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&start=20&um=1

"At least two, if not three forms of R. subtilis exist. The tallest type has leaves with broad segments which slightly resemble R. excelsa.; a second form has tiny canes, small leaves with finely divided segments, and slowly grows 2' to 3' (1 m) tall as shown in the photograph above. A third type appears to be a combination of the others. Cross pollination of these different forms may cause the wide variation in seedlings and mature plants. Unlike the blunt tipped R. excelsa, all R. subtilis have pointed leaf tips.

"Being a tropical, R. subtilis requires high humidity and abundant moisture. While all Rhapis can attract scale insects, this is the only species severely affected by spider mites. It has a temperature range of 32 to 90 degrees F (0 to 32 degrees C), but prefers 60 to 80 degrees F. Thailand Lady Palm thrives in humid, tropical climates, but seldom adapts to hot dry regions or cool subtropical areas. It can be difficult as a houseplant."

Not exactly a description of a marginal plant, but at least it isn't a dry climate plant either. And, the plant I have does have pointed leaf tips, almost sharp points.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I washed all the soil off the plants just now, and have them soaking to kill any pests. It looks like very tiny coconuts sprouting! This almost convinces me for sure that these are Rhapis Palm varieties. I plan to use the new planter cups I just got from Riparium Supply, to plant a couple of bunches. I really like the appearance of this plant for a riparium.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
That plant does have a perfect shape for growing in a riparium. Plants with a gentle arch like that are my favorite choices. Sapthiphyllum and Acorus are too especially good groups that have a similar form.

I'll be real interested to hear how this one does in riparium culture.

That was what had me thinking Cyclanthus--that those plantlets have just two pairs of leaves. As they grow up they will develop a trunk and many new ranks of leaves.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I now have that plant in my 65 gallon and my 10 gallon ripariums, so I should have an idea how well they do in a month or so. They still look very healthy a day after I put them in, and not all plants can say that.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I just went through all your pics, my pics, and Barry's Bolivia pics, Gary, but I don't think we got any of this plant- and I'd swear they were growing along the paths around the El Prado cabin.

Plus I think they're in the plant nursery at Home Depot, too... I'm gonna have to find them now. :biggrin:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bambusa ventricosa 'Kimmei'
Common Name: Kimmei Buddha Belly

Maximum Height: 55 feet, 30-40 feet average
Container Height: 10 to 15 ft?
Diameter: 1.5 - 2 inches

My little 10 gallon tank might be a bit small for this, but the 65 gallon tank?:icon_lol:

Seriously, would it really be possible to dwarf such a monster by any technique at all? The "buddha belly" stem is so interesting it would be worth it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.